Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE Power Switch — Parallax Forums

BOE Power Switch

frosliefroslie Posts: 67
edited 2005-06-14 21:59 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone tell me if there is an obvious way to by-pass the power switch on the BOE.

I would like to add a small toggle switch to an exterior case so that the actual board does not need to be accessed.

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-06-14 19:35
    Then why not just turn it on and leave it on?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Need a bezel for your LCD?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • frosliefroslie Posts: 67
    edited 2005-06-14 19:42
    It will be in an art museum for a couple of months. I will be moving and leaving the art work/robot in the care of other people. If it running constantly it may have issues·I cannot attend to.·I would like for them to turn it on in the morning and turn it off in the evening.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-06-14 19:43
    It is pretty straight forward to acomplish that, take your toggle switch, tie the center post to the positive terminal of your battery and tie an end post to the positive terminal of the battery connection on your BOE, in one switch position the battery is disconnected from your BOE, in the other position they are connected.
    edited 2005-06-14 19:47
    ok. if I am using a DC power supply - how do I accomplish the same thing on the BOE?
    edited 2005-06-14 19:51
    Connect a toggle switch across the on-off switch.· Leave the on-off switch in the off position.· Now then if you turn the toggle switch on, you have shorted out the on-off switch and the BOE runs.· Open the toggle switch and it quits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Need a bezel for your LCD?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2005-06-14 19:53
    That sounds simple enough. I assume that this will still deliver power to the servo motors when the toggle is on?
    edited 2005-06-14 20:13
    Yes - just make sure you connect your toggle switch to the correct terminals.· Use an ohmmeter to make sure you have continuity when the switch is in the far right (servo) position and no continuity when the switch is in the off position.

Sid
    edited 2005-06-14 20:24
    thank you

Pete
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-14 20:37
    Sid,

·· The power switch is a DPDT switch.· There are also 3 positions.· The easiest way to do this would be to splice the + line on the power lead being plugged into the board, and interrupt it's power.· One line is being broken, and that line is being switched.· Very simple, and no modifications to the board are necessary.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-06-14 20:41
    I think he is using a battery and that is the problem.· If he is actually using a wall wart that would make things simple.

Sid
    edited 2005-06-14 20:43
    Newzed said...(trimmed)
    I think he is using a battery and that is the problem.· If he is actually using a wall wart that would make things simple.
    Sid

Sid,

·· Read back a little ways...
    froslie said...
    ok. if I am using a DC power supply - how do I accomplish the same thing on the BOE?
    That is, I would assume, a Wall-Wart.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-06-14 21:34
    My lingo is not always the best. The Wall-wart, I assume is the power supply plugged directly into the BOE - there will be no battery.

The idea will be to literally splice the the + line before it is plugged into the BOE - adding the toggle here?
    edited 2005-06-14 21:36
    froslie said...
    My lingo is not always the best. The Wall-wart, I assume is the power supply plugged directly into the BOE - there will be no battery.

The idea will be to literally splice the the + line before it is plugged into the BOE - adding the toggle here?
    you are correct froslie, you can also splice it in over the existing switch which would act as an OR (if the built in switch OR the toggle are on, the BOE is powered), splicing it into the + line would result in an AND configuration (if the built in switch AND the toggle are on, the BOE is powered)

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 6/14/2005 9:39:36 PM GMT
    edited 2005-06-14 21:43
    that sounds great. much appreciation.

Pete
    edited 2005-06-14 21:49
    Paul,

·· I was trying to provide him with the least complicated way to do this, while also not having to "hack" his BOE.· If you've ever seen those AC power cord·switches that allow you to add a switch to an AC appliance that doesn't have·a switch.· They typically work by splicing the main line, they interrupt one of the wires, and switch it.· This would be similar, and ideal to adding the power switch to the cabinet with very little work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-06-14 21:59
    Chris: agreed, the + line splice is the best method, I included the OR configuration because Sid brought it up and I was confirming that it too would work. But yes its best not to (de)solder connections on the BOE itself. Sometimes "looking at something from every angle" isn't the best method to approach explaining a solution, blame it on my professional training.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 6/14/2005 10:02:30 PM GMT