edited 2005-06-13 18:32 in BASIC Stamp
can I build a colour sensor with one webcam

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.geocities.com/cdrombot

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-12 01:25
    Hello,

·· Very doubtful, since most webcams not only have a USB interface, but the overhead for image processing would be considerable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • nofearsotnofearsot Posts: 25
    edited 2005-06-12 10:36
    Can I build a sensor like CMUcam Vision System for the Boe-Bot robot with a web cam?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.geocities.com/cdrombot
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-06-12 10:52
    I'd say yes assuming you are proficient enough at coding in C or something that would run in windows...accessing the port, pulling the image data, then analyzing the image data for the things you want.

It's less of a stamp thing than a PC programming thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-06-13 18:32
    The CMUcam is a cam which has an SX processor coupled with it to perform operations on the data such as object tracking. To create a similar system you would need to do the same, create an interface processor that is fast enough to handle the data in real time. The Basic stamp by all accounts cannot do this, the processor must be able to handle millions of pixels of information every second, the stamp can only do ~2000 instructions/second, this is more than 1000 times too slow.

The amount of money you would spend on developing this system (not accounting for personal time spent) will run you double the cost (or more) than buying a CMUcam. Unless you need a feature or function that CMUcam does not provide, there is no sense in creating your own interface unless you are just seeking the challenge.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 6/13/2005 6:37:33 PM GMT