Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
micro controllers — Parallax Forums

micro controllers

tehmoordartehmoordar Posts: 52
edited 2005-06-09 21:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I want to study about what these micro controllers·like Basic stamp, oopic, handyboard, hc 6811 where can I get hold of good articles, online links and·material about these.
Thankyou

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-09 17:28
    The best place to start, we think, is with out "What's A Microcontroller?" kit and text.· If you live in the US, it's as close as your nearest RadioShack store.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • tehmoordartehmoordar Posts: 52
    edited 2005-06-09 17:36
    Hi,

I live in austin texas -- is it a book about these things

Thanks
  • tehmoordartehmoordar Posts: 52
    edited 2005-06-09 17:47
    The following link tells me the online edition of " what's a microcontroller" is this the one you are talking about.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/wamv2_2.pdf

can I have some thing· telling me what all microcontrollers are available in the market for these robots like what is ther in lego, robolab, handy board and all that stuff
    Thanks
    edited 2005-06-09 17:49
    Yes, it's a book/kit -- everything you need to get started except a PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-09 17:50
    Most likely your best resource will be www.google.com.· I haven't seen a book that compares all micros for robotics.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2005-06-09 18:02
    Good point, Dave ... I only gave references to information about Parallax microcontrollers. A web search will turn up a lot of information about the others.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-06-09 21:45
    There are no all encompassing sources for all microControllers, because product lines are constantly changing and being updated. Also different controllers are suitable for different applications. Google will help you start to find information about what is available, but for most controllers you will need to do research either directly on the company's page or find an online users group.

That being said, if you are new to microcontrollers, Parallax's basic stamp/What is a Microcontroller is probably the single best place you can start-

Identify your goals, level of experience and direction first, then find the controller you want that way. More time taken in selecting the right tool for a job equates to less headace later on...

Ryan