Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Monitoring RPM of Servo — Parallax Forums

Monitoring RPM of Servo

jblavenjblaven Posts: 36
edited 2005-06-09 14:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hey,

With the Boe-Bot, I would like to monitor the wheel/servo rpm.· With the whiskers on, the bot can still bump into things that are below the whiskers.· When this happens, the·wheels·bog/slow down.

Is there a way to monitor these servos through the basic stamp using the current circuit design?

I want to shine·a light through the open holes in the wheel to gauge the change in RPM and·to tell the stamp that it is·up against something.·roll.gif

I have not added the infrared circuit to the bot, but could see how this would prevent·this sort of problem.· Even with infrared, I am guessing there are situations where the bot still may "bog" down.·

Watching the RPMs could help the bot know when it is trying to go somewhere it can't.· Can this be solved with code in the current circuit?

Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-09 14:02
    Joe,

·· We have a Digital Encoder Kit for the BOE-Bot which could help you with this very thing...It can sense the speed of the wheels, as well as whether or not they're turning.· Might be an option for you...

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28107

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-06-09 14:09
    Another trickier (is that word) way is to monitor the amount of current the servo uses. If the bot is "stuck" the current will go way up. There are current sense ICs that are made for this.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"If you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you always got."
    ·
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-06-09 14:17
    Joe,

I've been working on another way to do this, but I haven't finished it yet. I have been playing with an optical mouse sensor. This way I can tell which direction the 'bot is moving and how quickly. I have the sensor talking to a Stamp and telling me which direction although not speed yet.

Just an idea.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot