Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STAMP 2 Serial Confusion — Parallax Forums

STAMP 2 Serial Confusion

Keith RileyKeith Riley Posts: 3
edited 2005-06-13 18:21 in BASIC Stamp
I have the Basic Stamp 2 Carrier board. I want to do real-time communication but have seen some references to the effect that this is not possible on this board. Why is that so? Is there anything I can do (cutting traces, installing a switch, etc) to allow both programming and real-time?

I really just need to receive on the Stamp, but send/receive would be a bonus.

Finally, (separate question) What would be required to be able to run the debugger WHILE I perform real-time communication? Is there a way to connect a second PC port via one of the parallel inputs? What would be required for that?

Thanks very much,

Keith

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-09 11:17
    If you want to debug your BASIC Stamp code while it is doing serial communication on another port -- you need to add the other port. This will require 2 or 4 pins -- 2 for simple (TX and RX) and 4 for comms with flow-control. To connect a second port you'll need an inverter like the MAX232.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Keith RileyKeith Riley Posts: 3
    edited 2005-06-09 12:25
    Jon,

Thank-you for your prompt reply. One remaining question. If I don't mind sharing the one port alternately for programming and real-time, are there any limitations with the Stamp 2 Carrier board for Real-time? Seems like I caught some reference to issues with using the carrier board for real-time....

Thanks again,

Keith
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-09 13:45
    Older versions of the carrier board did not have the caps we currently use between the PC's DTR pin and the Stamp's ATN pin (pin 4 on the module) -- see attached schematic. Some terminal program, notably Hyperterminal, keep the DTR pin in a state that would put the BASIC Stamp in reset without these caps. Of course, if you want to use the Debug Terminal window (you can open it manually in the BASIC Stamp editor) to do your "real time" communication, you won't have any problems as it keeps DTR in a state that won't reset the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 6/9/2005 2:01:25 PM GMT
    772 x 583 - 8K
  • Keith RileyKeith Riley Posts: 3
    edited 2005-06-13 15:46
    Jon,

Thank-you. The Max-232 looks like a perfect fit. Can you recommend a site where I can order this part in small quantities (1 or 2)? Most of the sites I found are more interested in thousand quantities.

Tahnks,

Keith
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-13 16:05
    Keith,

·· Try Digi-Key or Jameco.· I have purchased from both.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-06-13 18:21
    glitchbuster.com/ is my favorite place for small quantities. They sell the MAX232N for $.69 and 50V 1UF electrolytic capacitors for $.09 each (you'll need 4 with the MAX232N). Add $1.85 for postage.