Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Uln2003a with bs2's — Parallax Forums

Uln2003a with bs2's

davidsdavids Posts: 64
edited 2005-06-07 04:00 in BASIC Stamp
·I have·been trying·to find a simply code to use for testing the idea or maybe a diagram to see how this has been done before.· If someone could help me pls

David

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-06 03:03
    Scott Edwards did a whole article way-back-when: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv6.pdf

Using the ULN2x03 is very easy: connect your outputs of the Stamp to the input side of the ULN.· The output side of the ULN switches ground for the external device.· This allows the Stamp to control larger loads; things like lamps, relays, and solenoids.· Our new Prop-1 Controller is a BS1 and ULN2803 on the same board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • davidsdavids Posts: 64
    edited 2005-06-06 03:10
    Jon,

thank you very much I haven't see that doc before

David
    edited 2005-06-06 12:08
    I suggest (to everyone) that you scan the Nuts & Volts articles library -- there's lots of great stuff there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • davidsdavids Posts: 64
    edited 2005-06-07 03:43
    I looked at a Nuts and Bolts Article before I posted the question. The problem that I'm having is that I am writing the program BS2 not the BS1 used in the example. I keep running into some errors such as being unable to vary the speed properly on each motor. I also have a MMC controller which works fine with two motors, but would like to use more powerful motors in my aircraft.
    edited 2005-06-07 03:48
    PBASIC 1 is very easily translated to PBASIC 2 (a superset), so anything you find in the Nuts & Volts (with a "V") library should be useful. That said, I don't know that there's any large motor control projects -- that's a bit of a specialty. You might want to do a web search, especially on robotics as H-Bridge circuits are useful in that arena.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-06-07 04:00
    Davids-

The ULN2x03 devices are designed for turning inductive loads on and off, not continuously varying a motor's speed. You will want an H-Bridge (L293D and its friends) as suggested by Jon Williams to control a motor's speed and direction. There is an excellent discussion of microcontroller motor control in "Mobile Robots" by Joseph Jones and Anita Flynn.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com