Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STR storing question — Parallax Forums

STR storing question

YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
edited 2005-06-05 18:04 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, suppose I want to catch a String of bytes kicked out by the CMUcam1, but the packet is large, a 352 pixel (potentially 3 times that amount in bytes I think). Is there anyway I can catch that with the SERIN command and save it to RAM so I can SEROUT it in a single, large block? I'm using a BS2 which has 2Kb of RAM. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-05 04:17
    Hello,

·· Actually the BS2 has 2KB of EEPROM, but 26 bytes of available RAM.· You will not be able to store an image in RAM and send it back out.· You·might be able·to do it one byte at a time, if the data is coming in slow enough.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-06-05 06:26
    So should I try something like a 1200 baud or something? Or try writing to EEPROM? I'll work on this in the mean time, but thanks for the ideas!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-06-05 14:30
    Yojimbo,

The CMUCam1 will only download a full image at 115k baud. You can do degraded quality pictures a little slower, I forget the baud rate. I have a CMUCam on a robot, and use a EB500 card to communicate with a PC. I had to modify the Parallax version of the 'cam to do so. When I get a round tuit this summer, I plan on working on an image dump.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-05 18:04
    Yojimbo said...
    So should I try something like a 1200 baud or something? Or try writing to EEPROM? I'll work on this in the mean time, but thanks for the ideas!
    ·· Remember, that's 2K minus your program code...So that doesn't mean you have 2K to write data to.· If you had a BS2p/px you would be able to use another 2K bank for data storage, but if you're continually re-writing the data, that's not good for the EEPROM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com