Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Relay Questions — Parallax Forums

Relay Questions

The_N3rdThe_N3rd Posts: 34
edited 2005-06-03 20:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hey, its The Nerd again.
· Yesterday I downloaded the Infrared remote control book on the parallax website.·I tried some of the code, and successfully controlled my boe-bot with a TV remote.· After a little while I was trying to think of some other things that I could apply this to.
· One day I built this simple little battery powered hovercraft that could float around on the kitchen floor. I wanted to make it remote control, but I·didn’t have any way to do it.· Today I got the Idea that I could modify the infrared remote control program so it could control·an electric motor for forward propulsion, and·a servo for·ruder steering.··The only problem is that I·don’t have any·FETs·that can run the motor.· I do have some small transistors and·a couple of 9 volt relays, but·5 volts·won't activate a 9 volt relay.· I do have a reed relay, but·I am not sure·how much it can handle.··
··· What I want to do is operate the motor on a separate 9·volt battery so·I don't drain·the batteries that are running the stamp.· I·wanted to·ask before I accidentally fried my stamp because I didn’t know what I was doing!tongue.gif·
···· Any suggestions would be great!
····
·
Thanks,·····

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
the NERD, Kelie B.

·· =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

· "The current scenario of the origin of life is about as likely as the assemblage of a 747 by a tornado whirling through a junkyard."

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-06-03 20:26
    Hi Kelie, do you know how much current your motor draws? Can you use a multimeter to check what it is if it's not listed on the motor? Do you know what the maximum current your transistors can handle? (What Im getting at is that you can use multiple transistors in parallel to obtain higher current handling, it is advisable to use a signle transitor, but when strapped for cash you can place·several in parallel).

Transistors are much more energy efficient than relays, meaning your batteries will last longer.