Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need help programing stamp — Parallax Forums

need help programing stamp

Frank SnyderFrank Snyder Posts: 5
edited 2005-06-03 01:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

Last year I bought a bs 1, and used it without any problems. my computer died, and I bought a new one. I downloaded the parallax program, and wrote a new program. Now when I try to download a program to the stamp I get the error, can't open port, or no stamp found. I am using a·USB port.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks Frank Snyder
snyderfj@netins.net

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-02 02:41
    You have a BS1? Which USB to serial adapter are you using? Are you using the BS1 Serial Adapter as well, or do you have a BS1 Project Board with the serial connection built in?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-02 14:13
    The original BS-1 interface was parallel. Are you using a USB Parallel cable? Or have you upgraded to the new serial interface for the BS-1?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-02 14:17
    The current version of the BASIC Stamp editor only support serial programming -- using the parallel port died with the DOS version of the editor.

On a technical note, the BS1 has always been programmed serially (at 4800 baud). The DOS version of the editor bit-banged 4800 baud serial for the BS1. Why use the parallel port? Because it has TTL level I/O and that made it easy to connect to the BS1 (no level shifter required). The BS1 Serial Adapater is simply a level shifter that takes serial port levels (which can be all over the place) and cleans them up to the TTL level required by the BS1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Frank SnyderFrank Snyder Posts: 5
    edited 2005-06-02 22:52
    I am using USA-19H serial adapter connected to the BS1 serial adapter. The BS1 is on a basic stamp carrier board. I am using the USB cable that came with the USA serial adapter. I am using the basic stamp editor windows v2.2. This same setup worked to program the stamp 8 months ago. The only difference is the new computer.

Thanks Frank
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-02 23:00
    Is this a Keyspan USB to serial adapter model 19HS?· Did you download any drivers for USB to serial adapter?· We sell a FTDI USB to serial adapter that will work with the BASIC Stamp 1.· Here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2005-06-02 23:10
    Yes it is a Keyspan model19HS. I downloaded the drivers that came with the adapter. I will look at the link you sent. thanks.

Frank
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-02 23:18
    Have you clicked on the USB to com port in the Device manager?· After you click on the USB to com port then click on the Port Setting tab and then click on the Advance button and see if there is a Latency setting?· If so, set it to 1.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2005-06-02 23:46
    Thanks Dave,

I was using the wrong com port. I think with a little work I will be able to download to the stamp. when I first changed the com port , it found the stamp, but wouldn't download. I got echo, but no loopback. I disconnected the power supply, and connected a 9 volt battery, and lost everything. I connected the power supply again, and still nothing. I will check out my wiring and try it again.

Thanks Frank
    edited 2005-06-03 00:00
    Thanks for all your help. I am now able to reprogram the stamp. I would have been lost without all your help.

Frank
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-03 01:14
    Yay. I thought the Keyspan was one of the units that nobody had any trouble with at any time. I'm glad it worked for you.

I don't mind the FTDI device, but if other devices work it is good to know about it.