Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with a mac — Parallax Forums

Need help with a mac

Forrest B.Forrest B. Posts: 6
edited 2005-06-26 23:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I have Boe-Bot and a mac. I am hopeing to connect it but it only comes with serial cable!!!! I have instaled the Mac software, What do I do next?

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-06-01 03:44
    Hello - I'm a Mac user also. What are the odds that two Mac users named Forrest frequent this predominently PC forum? FYI, my last name starts with a B. also.

You'll need to buy a USB to serial adapter to program the Boe-Bot. But not just any adapter will work. The author of MacBS2 lists those which have passed testing here www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/faq.shtml Parallax is currently recommending the FTDI adapter - which you can buy here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030 Other users have reported good success with the Keyspan adapters. Both brands work fine with MacBS2.

lol.gif
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-06-01 10:26
    Forrest/Forrest B...are you sure you're not the same person and was so bored you typed yourself a message? [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-06-01 11:31
    I asked my invisible friend and he assured me he didn't type the other message tongue.gif

Besides, neither of us own a Boe-Bot smilewinkgrin.gif
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-06-01 21:15
    Dear Forrest,

If you are the Forrest I think you are then you have a USB-BOE. If you are not the same Forrest then I'm lost in the trees because there are three of them in this forum and none of them in my town.

If you have the USB BOE, then you only need the USB-mini B cable. You can get these at any RadioShack or electronics store in most big cities. Places like Best Buy and CompUSA have them in stock. Or, you can order it from Parallax:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=805-00006

Don't pay more than $10 for this cable if you can help it. Those Belkin cables are really expensive considering my $5 cable hasn't failed yet.

Or, if you really have the Serial BOE then I'd recommend buying the FTDI adapter as the other Forrest recommended.

Aside from installing the Mac BS2 editor as you have already done, you will only need the correct FTDI driver from:

www.ftdichip.com

And you shall have a true native Macintosh-compiled BASIC Stamp programming setup. Pretty neat. No PC emulators or related stuff to junkify the clean Mac utopia.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • X-caiverX-caiver Posts: 1
    edited 2005-06-21 00:47
    Except for when you need / want to see your memory utilization. MacBS2 doesn't yet have a display for that [noparse]:([/noparse]
  • civstercivster Posts: 17
    edited 2005-06-26 23:17
    Hello everyone,

My first post; looking for which FTDI driver I need for the Parallax USB to Serial adapter for Mac OS X?

Apparently, FTDI has a driver for FT2232C and another for FT232-FT245.

Thanks.