Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
controlling two servos at the same time — Parallax Forums

controlling two servos at the same time

ObiwanObiwan Posts: 36
edited 2005-05-31 21:26 in Robotics
I would like to use two servos to rotate the same piece of pipe on my robot with one servo on each side of the pipe.· One of them will therefore be going in reverse in relation to the other.· If I have their pulsouts going right after one another, will the small delay in processing in the stamp be important enough to cause them to be off·of time with each other.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-05-31 19:10
    You would need to make a proto type to verify the timing and then add the pipe.· You can use the servo horns to visually see the timing.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-31 19:12
    First of all, I think the 'small delay' we're talking about here is on the order of 100 uSec. Pretty small.

Second of all, I think the Servo comparator wants to get 'refreshed' every 20 mSec. If you refresh both servo's, then wait 20 mSec, both should keep rotating at the same rate. Then the only problem would be that very brief 100 uSec delay between #1's pulse and #2's pulse on startup. I don't think it would be a problem.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-31 21:26
    I don't believe so because the servos will always be updated at the same time relative to each other.· And as Allan points out, the instruction load of 100 microseconds (0.1 ms) will probably not be noticed.
    Obiwan said...
    I would like to use two servos to rotate the same piece of pipe on my robot with one servo on each side of the pipe.· One of them will therefore be going in reverse in relation to the other.· If I have their pulsouts going right after one another, will the small delay in processing in the stamp be important enough to cause them to be off·of time with each other.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax