Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IrDA Interface — Parallax Forums

IrDA Interface

ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
edited 2005-06-01 00:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all;
For my design project I would like to design a data kiosk that interfaces with the infrared port of handheld PDAs and laptops, allowing users to download information (e.g. schedules, news &#8230[noparse];)[/noparse]. ·I don’t know which kit and/or parts I should get that would be suitable for my project. Any thoughts ? Can parallax products help me?

Thanks very much!
Mike

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/31/2005 10:20:53 PM GMT

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-05-30 21:33
    What kind of data are you looking at?
    Can the stamp send IR data....sure!! as far as downloading 'news'...sounds like you want it connected to the web. You might be better served with a PC for that end of it.
    The stamp is really good at sending serial data (rs232-type)....

not sure what exactly you are after without more detail!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
    edited 2005-05-31 02:15
    steve_b

thanks for your reply! ...basically i want to save data which is mainly in text format (maybe some graphics but only if its possible) in a memory media (Eprom or the like) which then can interact with a cellphone or PDA to download the text (news) that was saved before.

hope this helps!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-05-31 21:41
    you certainly have somewhat of an ambitous idea!
    and it's certainly doable....maybe not with the stamp.

however, you can certainly use the stamp to play with text data somewhat easily. But if it's in an html format, there are a lot of codes for the html that we don't see (background colour; font stuff...)

To be honest, the more you put in to your questions here, the more we can answer!
    Graphics really aren't something the stamp can do much with....you'd have to break the image down to some sort of stream....but what would you want to do with it...?!?!
    You might use the stamp to control some other device that stores images (uMMC card) and then displays it on an LCD screen.j

And also, baby steps will stop you from getting tangled up before you've begun!
    see if you can communicate to your stamp from your cell or PDA (not all models work....)
    You may have to write some sort of code on your PDA's or a PC to do some of this too....do you have programming experience?

So many questions....you haven't given enough details on what you want to do!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
    edited 2005-05-31 22:35
    Hi all;
    the whole idea was to come up with this device that can be installed in public places like subway, etc. to give the convenience for commuters to download news, bus schedules, basic stuff like that to their PDA/Laptop!
    ·
    This information i want to save in a memory device provided by STAMP using my computer.
    After the data is saved onboard the user can choose between whichever topic they want to download.
    Therefore, i will be only transmitting through an infrared port of the STAMP to the PDA or laptop.
    ·
    I do have programming experience mainly in JAVA and ASSEMBELY LANGUAGE. I just wasn't sure if this project is doable with the KITS available.
    If yes, then wish one would be best suited for use. I would like to transmit just text (it seems the graphics will complicate things)
    ·If something is still unclear, just let me know.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-31 22:47
    Hello,

·· Before you can proceed any further, you will need to find out more about the IRDA protocol and interface, especially in regards to handshaking and establishing a connection.· PDAs and Laptops are going to have to be able to let this unit know what they want.· They'll have to establish a link and you'll need to know how that's done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2005-06-01 00:19
    Tracy Allen's site has a BASIC Stamp - IRDA AppNote. Here's the link.

http://www.emesystems.com/BS2IrDA.htm

That's just the tip of the iceberg; there's an amazing wealth of interesting and useful BASIC Stamp information there! Click around a bit and make notes of the various resources while you're there. Some of them are likely to come in handy later in your project.