Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No BASIC STAMP Found — Parallax Forums

No BASIC STAMP Found

WarrenWarren Posts: 9
edited 2005-05-31 04:53 in BASIC Stamp
I made a big mistake by mistake and now I can't access the STAMP. Everything worked fine until I used STAMPDAQ to transfer data from the STAMP to my computer. I didn't read the STAMPDAQ comment on the "Reset STAMP on connect" until it was too late. I checked the box and everything seemed to work fine. But on my next test, I was locked out of the STAMP. I have tried a second computer with the same result. I have tried downloading the simple DEBUG "hello world" program, but I can't get a connection established. The message I now get consistently when I attempt to connect to the STAMP is: "No BASIC STAMP Found." What do I do now? Many thanks for your advice. Warren

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-30 01:23
    Warren,

·· Is the StampDAQ software still running when you're trying this?· If so, exit out of it, perhaps restart your computer, and try downloading to the Stamp Module again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • WarrenWarren Posts: 9
    edited 2005-05-30 01:52
    Hi Chris-

I posted this through the Parallax site rather than using OUTLOOK "reply" function. I see that your message is slightly different here. I have tried re-booting. I have tried running only the BASIC STAMP software first, before using the Internet, and I have tried it after using the Internet. I haven't found a winning combination yet. Running with or without the STAMPDAQ software also makes no difference. STAMPDAQ indicates that it is connecting to the STAMP, but this only happens sporadically - and often with data errors. Could I have damaged the STAMP? Thanks, Warren
    edited 2005-05-30 04:19
    Warren,

·· What do you have connected to the Stamp?· That is, what are you aquiring data from?· How are you powering the Stamp?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-05-30 17:45
    Hi Chris-
    I am using the Board of Education with the USB connection and power from the jack (wall wart - AC to DC) supplied with the Board. I am taking temperature readings with a thermistor, following the circuit diagrams from Parallax documents. I have stored 50 readings on the STAMP using 50 bytes. All fo this worked fine until I made the mistake of clicking the "Reset" box using STAMPDAQ. Warren
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-05-30 18:42
    Check all the simple things first. Do you have adequate power. When your stamp is running, do you have a good 5 volts at Vdd? Cables and hardware. have you checked all the wiring? Sometimes cables or clipleads get bumped and become intermittent. Will anything talk to your serial port? Verify with hyperterm or some terminal emulator. If you can loop back the serial port, ( jumper pins 2 and 3 on the DB9) that will positively determine baudrate. I'm running XP home and sometimes it appears the the wrong application has the serial port. But your rebooting should have cleared any port conflicts.
    edited 2005-05-30 21:24
    Gamblin-
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just used a digital camera to download a picture using the USB port, and it worked fine. I then tried the "Identify" function using the STAMP. I got the same message: "No BASIC STAMP Found" for the first 5 +/- tries, but then it found the STAMP. I attempted to download the program to the STAMP and got the same message of STAMP not found. I have tried the "Identify" function over 25 times without success. Pressing "Reset" on the BOE hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks, Warren
  • SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-05-30 21:47
    Gentlemen:

···· I have never used STAMPDAQ with the USB port. Does stampdaq change to default port when reset? This may be something to check on. Make sure the computer is looking for the proper port.

Sofa
    edited 2005-05-30 22:08
    Warren,

·· Do you have a laptop?· If so, one more thing you could try is to go into your control panel, open the System Properties, Hardware Tab, Device manager, go down to ports, double-click the USB Serial Port, go to Port Settings, Advanced, and set the Latency from 16 down to 1.· See if that helps.· If not, give Tech Support a call tomorrow between 7A and 5P Pacific Time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-05-30 22:46
    Hi Chris-

I have tried a laptop and done the "latency" thing. I will plan to call tech support. Many thanks, Warren
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-05-31 04:53
    I have had a similar problem and it can be VERY confusing and erratic. I don't have the clearest of explanations, but here goes. As nearly as can tell " comm ports" are not physical locations but interrupts assigned to a physcial location. I believe the PC assigns comm ports to specific devices so it knows which driver / interface to use with the device. the long and short of it is that the address of a physical port changes from one profile to the next. I believe this is particularly true if the laptop is used in and out of a docking station. I think it's a port addressing issue. I have experienced similar problems and I had to use a loopback connector and hyperterminal to postively I D the comm port assigned to the USB port i was using. My situation was a not identical to yours, as I use a serial to USB adapter.