Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power... BS2 OEM — Parallax Forums

Power... BS2 OEM

Kd7laxKd7lax Posts: 42
edited 2005-05-29 03:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
Ok I got my BS2 OEM all soldered up tonight!
I want to test it before I go building a bot with it [noparse]:)[/noparse] so I was wondering to what pins do I need to hook power up to so that I can see if the Bs2 is responding? I have a 4 cell battery pack ready to go. i think its the VISS and the VIN I need to hook it up to .. but just wanted to be sure...also is there any danger in hooking up the batter pack directly up to the BS2 OEM ( just to test it)
thanks
Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Visit my website @ www.kd7lax.com- Devoted to ham radio

·

Comments

• Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-05-28 13:26
    Mike:

You are correct. The black (-) wire from your 4 cell 6 volt battery pack goes to Vss and the red (+) goes to the Vin.

I posted some ohm meter reading from my OEM on this tread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=537371
  • Kd7laxKd7lax Posts: 42
    edited 2005-05-28 18:46
    OK,
    So after hooking it up to the serial port and adding power and using the BS2 windows editer... shouldn't it·recognize ·it? because I get the same error message thats in the post that Russ linked, I tried all of stuff that you posted and it all checks out....arrg..· maybe there is another step that I am missing.

any way let me know.
    -Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-28 21:01
    Are you using a known good DB9 cable? You'll need a straight-thru DB9 cable (also called a DB9 extension cable). A null-modem cable will NOT work.
    edited 2005-05-28 23:52
    Hi,
    well no I don't know if its good or not [noparse]:)[/noparse] I picked up a few used cables at my local Re-PC one was brand new..... I am not sure how to tell if it is a strait through cable or not ??? oh well they were only a $1.00.

It says on one of them E119932 AWM 2464 80c 300v 28 AWG VW-1 and on the other AWM E101344 2464 vw-1 80c 300v 28AWG Space Shuttle-C. I don't know if you can tell what type they are from that...or not.

any way maybe I should just buy a new one and try it.

thanks much!
    Mike
    ( oh and I also got my digital VOM/ MultiMeter up and running so I will be able to make accurate test)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-29 00:32
    To check the cable, just connect a multimeter to one pin at a time on each end of the cable. You should see pin 1 connected to pin 1, pin 2 connected to pin 2, etc.
    edited 2005-05-29 01:56
    AH HA!
    ok it was the cable....both the cables I bought were a pin or so off..... so Just went down to our local Staples and bought a cable new and what do you know ! BS2 found! I knew my soldering skilsl weren't that bad :P

thanks for the help!
    -Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-05-29 03:01
    Mike:

Congratulations!

I think that everyone one on the forum would want to encourage you to connect a 220 ohm resistor between each I/O pin (P0-P15) and the circuit that it is connected to. The resistor should be the first thing in the circuit that the pin sees. Any circuit that you build should have to go through the resistor to get to the stamp pin. The resistor will be in series with the circuit that you build and it will prevent a pin from seeing all the current that it could see if a circuit in test has a short in it.

This is described in the What's a Microcontroller book, but it is worth repeating. Have you considered doing the experiements in What's a Microcontroller? You may find that you can read the schematics in the book, and that even though the book is written to be a step by step for the BOE and Homework, that you can build an OEM version of each activity on your own bread board.