Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
large motor control — Parallax Forums

large motor control

frosliefroslie Posts: 67
edited 2005-05-27 05:55 in Robotics
can anyone help with hopefully a simple motor control issue - i'm not sure where to begin.

I would like to control a larger motor - 12VDC or something appropriate.

I would like the the motor to be reversible and use a BS2 to ramp it and time out periodically.

the apllication will be an art work - I plan to automate tether balls.· I intend to place a motor at the base of the tether ball pole and run a shaft up the middle.· the top of the shaft will connect to the tether ball.· Ramping the motor should help the ball get into orbit; timing it out will stop it and cause the ball to wrap around the pole.

I am considering the motor mind b.· is there a better solution; am I way off the mark?

please aid me in this project.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-27 03:55
    You want to use the circuit Beau shows in this thread.
  • frosliefroslie Posts: 67
    edited 2005-05-27 04:16
    thank you, I will check it out.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2005-05-27 05:25
    froslie,

Please note, that the circuit that Paul refers to is a conceptual representation.

You mention 12V motors.... what is the current rating? If you are unsure, can
    you measure the coil resistance without power applied to the motor(s)?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • frosliefroslie Posts: 67
    edited 2005-05-27 05:55
    Beau,

I'm not sure. I am still in the process of determing the best motors to purchase.

any suggestions on this are appreciated.· As I am an artist, much of my electric lingo has been self taught - the current rating will be the amps?

please excuse my novice approach.

aside: I have been using the BS2 to control servos and sensors for a a few years - simple circuits have been my focus until now. This forum is quickly proving to be very useful - thank you.