Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OEM bs2 trouble... — Parallax Forums

OEM bs2 trouble...

stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
edited 2005-05-27 04:19 in BASIC Stamp
·I completed my OEM bs2 tonight. But when I try downloading a test prog into it. The basic stamp editor tells me that it doesn't detect a basic stamp..
· Any help would be greatly apriciated... thnak you, ·Duane.

Comments

• Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-05-26 14:06
    Here are 3 general questions for you that will help us to narrow down the problem:

1. Have you used your PC and serial cable to program any other stamps? Is the BS2 OEM kit the only stamp you have available to confirm that PC and cable are configured properly to communicate with a BS2?

2. Have you confirmed that you have power to the BS2 which in on the OEM board? Have you used a meter to confirm that you have 5volts on the BS2 IC on the OEM board?

3. Have you triple checked the orientation of the parts on the BS2 OEM board?

You may find it simpler to talk directly with Parallax support about this. They probably have a trouble shooting check list that they can walk you through step by step.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-26 15:21
    Hello,

·· Please recheck that the transistors are all in the correct places.· There are 2 2N3904's (Q1 & Q2) and one 2N3906 (Q3).· Be sure these aren't switched, especially .· Also make sure the two capacitors (C2 & C3) are turned the correct way.· That is a common mistake.· They should be in line with the Resistor Pack (RN2).· And of course, always recheck your soldering and power supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
    edited 2005-05-27 02:18
    I checked the caps, they are correct, as are the transistors. The serial cable I use was the one that came with my boe bot, and it works fine. In fact I used it just last nigh on my boe board with a bs2px. As for all other parts, they seem correct, and I see no soldier bars.... I will re-check the power tonight... Just to see if I am getting 5v. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know what I get.... _Duane
    edited 2005-05-27 02:40
    Well I looked over the board, and can't find wich part is incorrect. I looked for soldier bridges.. Re-applyed power... then came the smoke, the pic was hot as heck, and not too good smelling.
    I have put together many of kits before, this would be the first one( not a oem though). Lookes like I completly wasted this one..... Dang shame......
    edited 2005-05-27 03:30
    I set my meter to 20k ohm range and recorded these numbers:
    VDD TO VSS : 10.5k
    VSS TO VIN : OPEN
    VIN TO RES : OPEN
    RES TO P0· : OPEN
    RES TO VSS : 19k

\·· 5· 4· 3· 2· 1·· /
    ·\················ /
    · \·· 9· 8· 7· 6· /
    ··

1 TO 2 : OPEN
    1 TO 6 : OPEN
    2 TO 3 : 4.6K
    2 TO 6 : OPEN
    2 TO 7 : OPEN
    3 TO 4 : OPEN
    3 TO 7 : OPEN
    3 TO 8 : OPEN
    4 TO 5 : OPEN
    4 TO 8 : OPEN
    4 TO 9 : OPEN
    5 TO 9 : OPEN
    6 TO 7 : SHORTED
    7 TO 8 : OPEN
    8 TO 9 : OPEN

The picture may help be of some help.

Have you pulled the two IC to check for bent pins on the ICs?
    628 x 468 - 93K
    edited 2005-05-27 03:31
    Quess the post was to late.................
    edited 2005-05-27 04:19
    Yeah I already tossed it..... But thanx