Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
battery options for boe bot using bs2px — Parallax Forums

battery options for boe bot using bs2px

stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
edited 2005-05-28 22:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, recently I replaced my bs2 with a bs2px. Once a few bugs on my part with timming and such everything seems to work fine. The only real trouble I have is that due to the higher power consumption with the bs2px, I am runnig threw batts real fast. Currently I use rechargable alkalines. With the bs2 I would get about 20-25 mins of run time. Now I am getting about 5 before I start getting brownouts. At first I thought the batts served there time, so I bought a new set. But I'm getting about the same time on runs. So I am intersted in learning on any sugestions along the lines of battery pack for the boe bot with a bs2px....
· I have the following items hokked up on my bot....
····························· (1) pind rangfinder
····························· (2) shard gp2d05 ir sensors
····························· (1) memsic 2125
······························(2) cont rotation servo's,
························· Also the bs2px on a boe board, and wheel encoders..

Thanx Duane

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-23 01:03
    Duane,

·· If you're running 4 batteries, this could be your problem.· Rechargeable batteries are only rated at 1.2V instead of 1.5 volts.· So you're already very near the brownout point of the Stamp Module.· Now with increased current consumption, you're likely browning things out more easily.· You could either another battery to the mix (For 5 total) or parallel another pack.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
    edited 2005-05-23 01:43
    Well the rechargable alkaline's are rated at 1.5v.. I think it's just too much load.. I'll have to make or buy a 5-6 pack.. Thankx.. Duane
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-23 03:40
    Duane,

·· If you're sure they're rated at 1.5V, then adding one more battery may not be good for your servos.· Just add a second pack of 4 in parallel.· That will effectively double the current capacity at the same voltage.· Of course, you'll have to re-charge 8, instead of 4 batteries.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-05-28 21:32
    I finnally built a new battery pack for my boe bot, I used 5 2/3a 1.2v rated @ 1100 .. I'm charging then at 0.5 amp. Much lower than I would normally charge a pack for my rc cars. At that I'm getting about 6.88 volts when fully charged. A littel higher than I would like.. Do you think this would be a problem??
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-28 22:16
    FYI if you install a rectifier diode (such as a 1N4007) to the positive side of your power supply, you'll drop the voltage by approximately 0.75 volts.
    edited 2005-05-28 22:44
    You know I have a few of thouse, and didn't even consider that.. great idea.. thanx _Duane