Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Basic stamps to cancel out sound... — Parallax Forums

Using Basic stamps to cancel out sound...

ExlextronixExlextronix Posts: 5
edited 2005-05-24 01:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I am new to this forum, but just recently I obtained the basic stamp 2 developing kit. I was wondering if it would be possible to use it to take incoming sound waves and invert them, then send them out a speaker, effectively canceling out the sound. if it is possible how would I go about creating this?

Comments

• shandarshandar Posts: 12
    edited 2005-05-23 12:43
    I was thinking about that a few months ago, but I think that the basic stamp is way too slow to do that. Either you have to use a PIC or somehow create some kind of electrical circuit that does it. Not sure though, but if you find a way to do it give me a shout!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-23 13:28
    Yes, the BS2 is way too slow to do something like this. What you need to do is recieve the sound through a microphone, invert the phase of the signal, and output that inverted phase signal. All in real-time.

This is something it takes a circuit to do, not a microprocessor. Also, a few companies (Bose for instance) have invested lots of dollars in the technology to do this. It's not a trivial thing to do.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-23 15:45
    All of the above is true, there is no way this could be accomplished with a stamp, the stamp is not powerful enough to playback CD quality wave sounds, let alone perform any complex computations on the data. A DSP designed for real time stream manipulation could do it, or complex dedicated circuits like in the Bose system (which btw is phenomenal quality, Dr. Amar Bose gave a lecture here a couple years back and brought one for us to try out). It not only requires negative phase transform but equal amplitude to offset unwanted audio signals. If I remeber correctly he designed a chip which performs the inversion using HRTF transforms (Head Related Transfer Function).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ExlextronixExlextronix Posts: 5
    edited 2005-05-23 19:57
    Ah, oh well. It was worth a try.

Thanks for your input!
  • mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2005-05-24 01:05
    http://www.headwize.com/projects/noise_prj.htm

Check the web page above for a simple analog solution to what you want to do, this design is popular with ham radio ops and with private pilots. This circuit does work very well.

Mike