Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which USB-RS232 adapter compatible with BSEditor? — Parallax Forums

Which USB-RS232 adapter compatible with BSEditor?

BronsonBronson Posts: 44
edited 2005-05-22 18:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I can see that a lot of users had trouble when connecting their BSeditor to BS using USB-RS232 Adapter.
According to Jon Williams, not all USB converters are created equal, and he suggests FTDI-made USB adapter.
Please share your result/experience with other USB-RS232 adapters by replying this topic.
I hope this topic can help BasicStamp's users lived outside US or other countries that don't have FTDI products.

======================
ATEN's USB-RS232 adapter = FAIL
======================

Regards,
Bronson Alex

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-05-22 13:07
    I have two USB-Serial adapters.

The one that works is a 'no-name' blue lump.
    (Photographed without cable)
    The one that doesn't work is the Targus 'Mobile Mini Port Replicator'(a combi model with parallell and serial port)

Unfortunately, I only had a crappy webcam available right now, so...

I don't know if it's possible to get hold of that 'no-name' model any more, but if you see it for sale anywhere, get it!
    It works with my BS2p, Palms, Psions and whatever else I've tried.
    The Targus model doesn't work with anything that uses more than RX/TX signals.
    (It can be used for the Debug screen, but that's just about all)
    352 x 288 - 12K
    352 x 288 - 12K
  • Mark GMark G Posts: 11
    edited 2005-05-22 14:44
    ======================

FAILED - "Prolific"· no name brand

======================

Purchased a $20 cheapo USB/232 adapter from the local coumputer stop.· No name on the box but the driver indicates made by "Prolific".

The adapter seems to work fine with every other pices of equipment and software I interface with including Debug, just not the BSeditor for downloading the program.·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-22 18:09
    Hello,

·· We have also had good luck with the KeySpan USB-232 adapters.· Of course, if you're buying a new board, such as a BOE or PDB, you have the USB functionality built-in (FTDI).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com