Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo/Servo Controller Question — Parallax Forums

Servo/Servo Controller Question

Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 8
edited 2005-05-20 20:15 in BASIC Stamp
I just got my PSC in the mail today along with a few servos. The documentation says to use a 4-7.5 VDC power supply for the servos and not to use the power off the project board. It goes on to say to make sure it can supply ample current at the correct voltage.· My question is what is considered ample current for the standard servos as well as the continuously rotating servos. My next concern was in the documentation for the servos. It says to use a 6.0VDC max power supply for the servos, but the PSC says you can use up to a 7.5. What it comes down to is I found a battery pack that's rated at 7.2VDC @ 2000mAh and I need to know if it will work. Thanks in advance. Here is the link to the battery pack...
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F010%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=23%2D322

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-20 20:09
    Hello,

·· What the current requirement boils down to is at least 100mA per servo you plan to connect to it.· When the servos are stalled, they will require more current.· The 7.2V battery should work fine, although if you're worried about losing a little life on the servos from running them at a higher voltage, you could use a Barrel Diode in series with the supply to drop a volt or so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 8
    edited 2005-05-20 20:15
    Hey thanks a bunch Chris!