Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to control a servo with BS2p-24?!? — Parallax Forums

How to control a servo with BS2p-24?!?

pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
edited 2005-07-20 20:28 in BASIC Stamp
I want to control a servo motor with my BS2p-24 & BS2p-24 Demo Board. I do not see any servo plugs cry.gif I don't know how to wire it, like the BOE or maybe the homework board? My demo board doesn't specifically match anything from "What's A MiCon?" book. Please help!
Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Robotics
ro-bot-ics (noun)
the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-20 04:23
    Hello,

·· If you have a 3-pin header, you can connect the Servo through the breadboard.· Just connect the black wire to Vss, the Red wire to Vdd and the White wire to a Stamp pin.· Then, you can use the code from the "What's A Microcontroller?" text, but you must change the pulsout values for the BS2p, as they are different timing from the BS2.· If you don't have the 3-pin header, you may still be able to do it using wires carefully from the Servo plug to the appropriate connections on the Demo Board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-05-20 12:51
    Yeah, I don't have any set apart servo plugs (I do have two columns of 5 pins, but I don't think that's for servos.) burger.gif
    I can wire it like the Homework board...but that means I need to purchase a 3-pin header...oh well. sad.gif
    Thanks for your help! cool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-20 13:06
    Use wires pressed into the servo connector to connect it to the wireless breadboard. If you haven't purchased any hookup wire for your project yet, Radio Shack has a nice hookup wire assortment for $6.29 P/N 276-173
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-20 13:54
    Yes, I push 22-guage solid wire connections into servo connectors all the time -- this will work for testing.

For the BS2p, the pulsout values for the "standard" servo positions would be:

1.0 ms = 1250 (left)
    1.5 ms = 1875 (center)
    2.0 ms = 2500 (right)

The values are calculated by taking the servo position (in microseconds) and dividing by 0.8 (the PULSOUT unit for the BS2p).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-05-20 14:32
    Okay, thanks for the pulsout values! wink.gif Now, about that wire… I assume that will replace the 3-pin header, which would be great! Is that box of wires from Radio Shack the correct specs? (Solid, 22-gauge wire?) Thanks for all the help! scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-20 14:40
    Yes, use solid 22-guage (24 is too small, 20 too big). Be very careful making your signal, Vdd (+5), and Vss (ground) connections to the servo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-05-20 14:48
    The wire in the Radio Shack kit is the right size for connecting Parallax servo's to the breadboard - I just tried it.
    edited 2005-05-20 14:54
    Okay...I was just checking...cool! idea.gif
    Thanks again! roll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
  • edited 2005-07-20 19:43
    · Speaking of headers I've been trying without any luck to find some of the little "#610 header blocks" that are used on the BS2 to connect servos. I want to solder some of these onto one of the pre-tinned boards, to complete a project that will include several servos. Has anyone got a source? Google turned up zip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Hacking the Trailing Edge!
    ················http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
    ················---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
    edited 2005-07-20 20:28
    If you're referring to simple straight male headers with .1 inch spacing, then I've used P/N ACS1428 from www.bgmicro.com - they cost $.33 each (36 pin strip) or 4 for $1. Snap them apart you'll get (48) 3 pin headers for $1 + shipping.