Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
home alarm system — Parallax Forums

home alarm system

bobroanbobroan Posts: 37
edited 2005-05-19 15:07 in BASIC Stamp
I'd like to program a stamp to operate as a home control system.· Either I can't find door/window sensors or else I am looking for the wrong thing.· It seems to me that I want the magnetic contact that sends the signal when it's broken or senses a low batter (like in a purchased system) as well as a receiver that will will be attached to my stamp and pick up the signal.

It's easy to find contacts but not the simple receivers, probably because the commercially available systems have them built into their consoles.

Or perhaps I don't need a separate receiver for each contact and something like the stamp RF module would work?

Any thoughts?

thanks

bob

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-19 01:53
    Bob,

·· I have built several Micro-Controlled Alarm Systems, including using a BASIC Stamp.· I used door switches (Magnetic) from Radio Shack and PIR sensors I got from several sources.· Are you saying you want to do this all wirelessly?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bobroanbobroan Posts: 37
    edited 2005-05-19 02:43
    Chris,

Yes, I want to do it wirelessly.

When the magnetic contact is broken, how does that information get sent to the basic stamp?

what's a PIR sensor?

thanks

bob
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-19 04:17
    Bob,

·· I guess you'll have to research a system for handling the wireless part.· I am not familiar with a wireless solution that will do exactly what you want.· All the systems I designed and/or ever used were wired.· A system is less prone to false triggering, noise, or tampering if it's wired properly.

·· A PIR sensor is a Passive Infrared Sensor.· It's used to detect motion and/or body heat via Infrared.· They're generally used as a backup to the magnet switches or where a magnet switch cannot be used.· Most systems today have some type of these.· I have both the standard PIR as well as hybrid units which also employ microwave detection.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-05-19 06:00
    These wireless little guys are inexpensive and interface well with a basic stamp.

http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/RWS-434.htm

http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/TWS-434.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    トヨタは すばらし です!!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-19 11:58
    i seem to remember www.goldmine-elec.com has surplus wireless home alarm sensors, but since they are surplus, they may take some effort to use. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15306&variation=&aitem=20&mitem=24

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 5/19/2005 12:02:01 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-19 15:07
    I just wanted to mention I think X10 has stuff like this off-the-shelf. You can use their CM-11 (or is it CM-17?) to monitor the x10 power line communication with your BS2.