Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ping sensor and acoustics — Parallax Forums

ping sensor and acoustics

tehmoordartehmoordar Posts: 52
edited 2005-05-19 19:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hi
I am facing a very unique problem.
the ping range sensor that I am using shows me square wave on oscope but as I switch on my motors I can see the different peaks emerging on Oscope and it increases with the speed or the noise of the motor.
I seprated the motor from the circuit put a 300uf capacitor and schottky diode in the circuit with motor and ran the motor in air. I again saw the ripples in Oscope with increase in speed of motor infact number of· square waves being generated in Oscope also increased.

Now I took the motor away from range sensor like 8-10 feet away where the sensor could not hear the noise of motor and amazingly range sensor worked and there was no ripple in the Oscope aswell. as I brought the motor closer to the circuit ripples started.

Now I am also assuming beside the RF , sound waves generated from motor is also effecting the capabilities of the range sensor.
How can I reduce these effects and sounds.
I am using DC motor( item # 1205· @· www.hobbyengineering.com)
Thanks

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-05-17 17:26
    You might try grounding the case of the motor.

By moving the motor away and the noise disappearing, you've determined that the noise is transfering up in to the power supply.

Run your motor in a shielded metal box....
    What happens when you put the motor wires close to the sensor? Or is it just the motor that's causing it?!
    Where, in relation to the sensor, is the motor when it causes problems?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-17 17:32
    Hello,

·· If you're getting acoustic interference, you could try re-positioning the PING so that it isn't likely to get echoes from the motor.· You could use a simple shroud.· If you can, please post a screenshot or two of your scope readings with the motor on.· Also, using the scope, can you confirm any noise on the power supply lines?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • tehmoordartehmoordar Posts: 52
    edited 2005-05-18 19:11
    hi,
    finally I havve come to the conclusion that it is the emg being genearted by the motor which makes the ping sensor flicker more and send more frequent pulses than nomal see my two pics( attached) one is without motor oN· and other is with motor.
    As motor speeeds up so will the rate of flickering of the sensor, which then will start missing the data and will start ahowing the range time to be one msec alternatively in basic stamp editor.
    see attachment
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-05-18 19:55
    HAve you tried separate power supplies?
    Shielding one or the other?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-05-18 20:00
    Hi,

see the attachment these ar e my two power supplies, and I have not shielded these,
    though I have instead of these power supplies used 9V battery for Basicstamp and 3v battery for motorcontroller seprately but not shileded.

By shielded you mean I put these power supplies in some shielded box
    thanks
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    edited 2005-05-19 18:42
    Hello,

A little success as I did few things I have changed the wires of power supply to shielded wires and I have also grounded the motor case -- this has helped me now atleast I can run the motor separately but as soon I assemble the upper portion of robot to lower portion like on top of each other then sensor again malfunctions--

If two pieces of robot are beside then they are ok and sensor too works fine.

Now I need to see either it is some frequency that is being generated by gear box itself is it the sound problem creating some vibrations--

How can I cut the sound coming from motor how can I cover it with some shroud what kind of shroud -- motors has very little space inside robot

I need you technical help

Thanks in advance
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-19 19:20
    You could try mounting the screws/nuts holding the PING sensor on vinyl grommets www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-3025