Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
studying the concept of nural networks with the basic stamp.. — Parallax Forums

studying the concept of nural networks with the basic stamp..

stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
edited 2005-06-05 03:23 in Robotics
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of any books, or sits offering info on nural network concepts. I am of course new to the concept, but would be interesting in learnig more on the subject. Hopfully with the basic stamp... thanks _Duane

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-16 11:48
    I just don't see how one would go about implementing a NN on a stamp, each node requires thier own set of weights (variables) and the training set is typically comprised of many hundreds or thousands of sample sets. Add to this the serial only nature of the stamp, just training a very simple network would take a long time. With that said, the closest implementation of NN I was able to find was code using VBA, which is the macro language·for Excel and is suposedly based on visual basic, I do not know how well the code would port since it requires purchasing the code. To find these programs type "VBA neural net" in google.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-16 15:38
    Yes, the concept of a neural net is a bunch of inputs, feeding a bunch of 'nodes', each of which have a 'weight' they give to the input signal.

You 'train' each node by setting its 'weights' with a feed-back loop -- this can take 10,000 iterations of presenting the input data, presenting the output, and adjusting the 'weights' in the right direction.

The BS2 doesn't really apply to this -- I suppose it COULD act as a single node, but it would be expensive ($50 per node) and probably slow (2000 Basic Instructions per second).
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2005-06-04 11:18
    Have a look at this site for AI and NN's. I have to admit, it goes way over my head!

http://www.generation5.org/
    (you'll want the "articles" section - have a browse!)

James
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-06-05 01:34
    I have never ventured into AI or NN, but if price is a concern would the SX make a decent Node ?
    What can a single node do ? Do you need multiple node to do anything useful ?
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
    ·
  • DukeEgr93DukeEgr93 Posts: 10
    edited 2005-06-05 03:23
    I am not sure that the "serial nature" of the stamp precludes it from neural nets if you were to use a hidden layer that received binary inputs?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔