Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor — Parallax Forums

stepper motor

yzcheyzche Posts: 35
edited 2005-05-16 18:18 in BASIC Stamp
I am using BS2 with stepper motor and a Sharp GP2D02 object detector. Everytime I connect GP2D02's ground(GP2D02's other wires are not connected) to battery's ground the stepper motor will malfunction. groundwire is very close to the stepper motor. In normal stepper motor operation, the motor will move step 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, so on. when I connect the GP2D02's ground wire, the stepper motor will move step 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2, so on. It just keep moving back and forth. Or sometime motor will just skip step, for example, step 1,2,6,7,8,13,12,14,18 so on. Any idea!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-16 04:07
    Hello,

·· One possible problem is that you're over-powering the supply?· What are you using to power this setup?· This could also be browning out the Stamp, but more information is needed to make this determination.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • yzcheyzche Posts: 35
    edited 2005-05-16 16:30
    For the whole thing, I have two BS2s, 12 serovs, one stepper motor, one detector. I have one 9 volt battery and 4 AA battery.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-16 17:06
    ·· Oh yeah, it definately sounds like you're browning out the supply now.· You will need a supply with more current if you're planning on powering all that equipment.· A 9 volt battery and 4AA isn't going to be able to do it.· 12 servos alone would be drawing more than 1 amp if running at the same time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • yzcheyzche Posts: 35
    edited 2005-05-16 18:18
    Is this possible that something wrong with my wiring?
    The 12V stepper motor on parallax's website has 5 wires but my motor has 6 wires.

Parallax My motor has
    red green
    brown brown
    orange black
    black red
    yellow yellow
    orange

Can you tell me how to connect my motor to ULN2803A? I already connected them. I just want to make sure they are connected correctly.