Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which STAMP DOS Editor? — Parallax Forums

Which STAMP DOS Editor?

AlBot9AlBot9 Posts: 2
edited 2005-05-14 08:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone!

I'm just getting started in STAMP programming and already I'm having issues. I have an old 486 laptop that I bought an ebay for $40 and I think it should be enough to talk to a piece of hardware. My "real" laptop is a 2.8g powerhouse and doesn't have a serial port. I don't want to get the USB->SERIAL adapter either because I've had problems with those in the past. This little DOS laptop really should be enough and I'm comfortable using DOS.

Anyway, that said..

I see 6 different versions of the DOS STAMP EDITOR on the CD. But I don't know which one to use and I can't find any references to the DOS editors on the PARALLAX web site.

So which version of DOS EDITOR should I use?

STAMP.EXE, STAMP2, STAMP2E.EXE, STAMP2sx.EXE???

Help... confused.gif
thanks

jac.

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-14 03:05
    Which Stamp are you trying to program? (BS1, BS2, BS2e, BS2X, BS2P, BS2P40, BS2PE, BS2PX)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-14 08:15
    Hello,

·· The DOS editor is no longer supported.· If you have a copy of the old DOS editor you could use it to program older Stamp modules, but the newer chips require the Windows version of the editor.

·· If you need a reliable USB to Serial converter, we sell one that is compatible with the BASIC Stamps.· Please see the link below for more information.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

Post Edited By Moderator (Aristides Alvarez (Parallax)) : 5/15/2005 12:44:47 AM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-05-14 08:30
    The Editor names matches the Stamp names:

Stamp.exe - BS1
    Stamp2.exe - BS2
    Stamp2e.exe - BS2e
    Stamp2sx.exe - BS2sx
    Stamp2p.exe - BS2p24 / BS2p40

You can't edit multiple files at the same time for the Stamps that have multiple program spaces and you lose the PBasic 2.0 functions, but other than that, they're OK. (I sometimes use a HP Omnigo 200LX DOS based PDA to program on)

Start it by writing 'Stamp2 filename.bs2'
    Then press F1 to read the help and to find out about the function keys.
    Just remember, when you quit this editor it will NOT ask you whether or not you want to save your file.