Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 & Laptop won't communicate — Parallax Forums

BS2 & Laptop won't communicate

BronsonBronson Posts: 44
edited 2005-05-15 03:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I can't connect my BS2 (with Educational Board) with my ACER laptop. I use ATEN USB-to-serial converter. The error in BS Editor: Loopback=No, Echo=Yes. I have tried to adjust RECEIVED & TRANSMIT BUFFER of COM port, but it's useless.
If the bottleneck is the USB-to-serial converter, Is there any recommendation for the converter?
Pls help me on this.

Regards,
Bronson Alex

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-13 00:37
    Yes, all USB converters are not created equal, so we recommend this one: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-05-13 04:31
    I also use the Aten usb to serial converter and mine seems to work ok. I have a thinkpad (ibm) t40 with XP professional. All courtesy of my job, I could never afford that hardware. But I have recently had a rash of serial problems with com ports. To positively identify which com port your usb to serial adapter is using, jumper pins 2 and 3 on the DB 9 end and using some terminal emulator (hyper term) see if you can echo chars back to the screen. That will at least determine which com port is used for the adapter as well as provide partial proof that your cable is working.
  • DaleDale Posts: 1
    edited 2005-05-14 21:43
    Hi,
    I just received my kit and was eager to start on the StampWorks lab. I am at page 11 in StampWorks manual. I get the error in BS Editor: Loopback=No, Echo=No. I am using the serial port. I also tried another computer. The green light is on, but a red light is also on the Pulse Generator. Thanks, Dale
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-05-15 03:38
    Double check your power supply and connections. Verify 5 volts at VDD. If using batteries make sure the voltage doesn't sag under load.
    Good luck.