Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
computer not communicating — Parallax Forums

computer not communicating

Shawn64Shawn64 Posts: 9
edited 2005-05-12 15:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Forum

I have replaced the computer I use to work with the Stamp. This new one has never been connected to a Stamp or uController before. I had to install a second Com port ( plug into mother board at connector marked "Com2 and mount connector) to connect the serial cable (which has been used with Stamps before) My problem is that when trying to "Identify" the Stamp, I continually get NO and NO under Loopback and Echo. I tried the cable and stamp with my laptop and it works fine so the cable/Stamp is OK, plus, I am using a Stamp Stack (pins 6&7 are bridged already) so the cable is not the problem.

I have not done much with either computers internally and am rather new to Stamps, although I have played with it on 2 other computers and not had this problem before. The old computer was a·486 and this one is a PII.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shawn

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-05-12 11:55
    Did you go to Edit/Preferences and setup the Editor and Debug ports?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Need a bezel for your LCD?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • Shawn64Shawn64 Posts: 9
    edited 2005-05-12 12:15
    I believe I did but that does seem the obvious route. I may have missed something. The Editor one is obvious and the window that comes up shows "ignoring" on every port except Com2, so I believe it is looking to Com2 for the Stamp but the debug window? I will check it out again.

Thanks
    edited 2005-05-12 12:36
    After checking the preferences, I have made some progress.

It is seeing the Stamp on Com4 but I am getting Echo-Yes and Loopback-No. I have set both debug and editor ports to 4, rather than auto or none. any other suggestions? Don't be afraid to mention the obvious. I am new.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-05-12 13:14
    From just looking at the steps you described, an obvious "missing piece" would seem to be setting up the port in your BIOS. Systems which have a second COM port available but not connected "out of the box" often have them disabled in the BIOS. Without having the details of your machine, the best I can offer is - get into the BIOS settings (typically by hitting a key at boot, also typically identified at boot by a message to the effect of "Press DEL to enter Setup"), and make sure the setting for your second COM port (typically under the "Advanced Settings" or "Hardware Setup" types of menu) is set to "Enabled".

HTH

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-05-12 13:24
    Was the cable that goes from the motherboard to the DB9 connector included with your system/motherboard ?
    Some of these are wired differently than others.
    Usually the end that connects to the motherboard is a 2 rows of 5 pins.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video Display Module" Available Now.

www.sxvm.com

"Great people talk about great things, average people talk about average things, small people talk about other people."
    ·
    edited 2005-05-12 13:28
    As for BIOS settings, both Com are labelled as Auto. This seems OK

The cables ( I have tried two) both work with my laptop (via a USB adapter) and they both worked with the old computer.

I am glad it is not being too obvious. At least I am feeling better about staying up till 1 last night trying to do something I thought should not have been that hard! :-(

Any other suggestions? I will try a different COM connector. or at least switching the mouse and Com 2 connectors to see if they both work OK. One would think a connector and short ribbon cable should be OK.

Thanks
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-05-12 13:34
    My next step would be to look in Device Manager to see if Windows (assumed) is recognizing the second COM port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2005-05-12 13:44
    Set the bios settings to manual, and on Com2 lower the uart buffers (in/out) setting to 1 or none on both, and if possible set the latency to lowest setting.
    Also see if there are any programs loaded on boot that tie up Com2 like a fax program, or Palm program.

I have Win XP PRO working just fine on Com2...

Bob
    edited 2005-05-12 14:20
    This machine runs 98 but I will check the System Manager. My laptop runs XP and it works fine too. My old computer was 98 and it worked. Urrrrgh!
    edited 2005-05-12 14:38
    I have now switched the mouse around using the new connector and it is running on Com 2, therefore connector seems OK

I went to Device Manager and reset rec and trans buffers to low (1). I don't know what "latency" is or where to find it.

Didn't make a difference.

Next? smile.gif
    edited 2005-05-12 15:02
    OK, I am on to something. The connector is the problem afterall. When I switched the mouse, it was now runniing on com2 but that was still the old connector. Duh!

I used an ohm meter to sound out the wires and they are all different. Same motherboard connector and 9 lead ribbon to DB-9 connector but wiring is totally different for some reason. I did not expect this. I will go look for the proper connector. Nothing in my junk box.

I will update later. Thanks for all the inputs. Sorry if you feel I wasted your time.

Cheers,

Shawn
    edited 2005-05-12 15:27
    It works!

I was able to separate the DB-9 housing and rewire the connector. Not sure where this connector came from but obviously some other intention.

Thanks again.

Shawn