Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STAMP and the Calculus — Parallax Forums

STAMP and the Calculus

John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
edited 2005-05-12 16:26 in BASIC Stamp
I'm thinking through a short course for high school students that would use STAMP projects to illustrate concepts in high school math. Or, to think conversely, use math to enhance understanding of STAMP projects.
·
The basics lay out pretty well. For example:
- use a simple link attached to a servo to illustrate trig functions to calculate the link's horizontal travel from a given pulse width
- use a set of resistive values from a photoresistor to create an equation of y=mx+b
Let me know if you want to see the outline in its rough form (at this point just general ideas for topics & projects)
·
The students will have:
- WAM text and kit
- Floating point coprocessor (uM-FPU V2 Parallax part #604-00030a) or we might do this seminar without coprocessors
- I could add a component or two if they could make a good project
·
The students have done all of WAM and most have done something more with Stamps (BAaD, BoeBOT or SX/B)
The students are at different levels of high school, but for the question below the readers will have completed or be half-way through high school calculus.
·
At this point I am looking for examples in two areas:
Calculus - a project illustrating differentiation
Calculus - a project illustrating integration
·
Has anyone used calculus in a project or has an idea for a simple project that could be used to demonstrate differentiation and integration with the STAMP? Even rough ideas would be fine, I can probably chew them into something usable.
·
Thanks.
·
·
·

Comments

• bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-05-11 13:22
    The Parallax Industrial Control module introduces PID techniques using a 35mm film canister, heating resistor, and a temperature sensor. PID stands for Proportional, Integral, and Differential.

Using a loop routine, differential measures are demonstrated by taking change in temperature between loops.

Integral measures are demonstrated by summing temperature errors over a series of loops.

The concepts are displayed using StampPlot lite.

Look at it here: The manual is a free download.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28156
  • Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2005-05-11 14:40
    Hi John,

I recommend you to visit this link:

http://www.emesys.com/BS2index.htm#math

Maybe it doesn't have exactly what you're looking for but it has a lot of Math resources generated by Tracy Allen.

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    Education and Technical Support Manager
    aalvarez@parallax.com
    Parallax, Inc. www.parallax.com
  • clayljclaylj Posts: 9
    edited 2005-05-11 15:17
    There is a nice posting in the Stamps in Class forum on PID at the URL below.

Larry

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=529609
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-11 15:37
    Since calculus is based on symbolic manipulations, microcontrollers are ill suited to do straight calculus. However the computational approach, numerical analysis, is possible. http://www.computerscilibrary.com/EmbeddedSystems.html·is a good source for sites that discuss the topic, in the left frame scroll down to Numerical Analysis section, they have 40 links to sites that cover the topic.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-05-12 15:41
    The RCTIME command offers good possibilities to introduce calculus. You have a first order differential equation for charging a capacitor. The capacitor integrates the current. The Stamp introduces a threshold. The Stamp is not _doing_ calculus, but a little simple calculus helps greatly to understand how the command works.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-12 16:26
    I think it's called 'Discrete Math'. This is calculus that does not divide down the Delta-X until it is infinitely small. Instead it divides the Delta-X down to a small value -- then uses the 'Y' values at the Delta-X 'sample-times'. PID algorithms are based on this math.

Oh, and you CAN have integrators and derivators made out of op-amps and capacitors, as Tracy said above, and monitor their outputs with the BS2.