Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with basic stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Need help with basic stamp 2

phillysteak12345phillysteak12345 Posts: 3
edited 2005-05-09 02:19 in BASIC Stamp
I just have a question pertaining to how the basic stamp 2 chip (product number 27290) connects to a servo controller. thanks

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-08 17:59
    Hello,

·· Since you didn't specify a servo controller, I will give you an example using our servo controller (PSC).· The PSC is powered by 5 volts, so you need to provide that, which can be gotten from the BASIC Stamp's Vdd line.· If you were using a Board Of Education (BOE) or Homework Board you could get it from the board's Vdd.· You also need a common ground (Vss).

·· Any Stamp I/O pin can be a serial line, which will connect to the PSC's signal line for sending/receiving serial commands.· If you are using a BOC Rev C. you can connect the PSC to the servo headers on the BOE, just make sure the jumper is set to Vdd, NOT Vin.· The PSC has a separate power supply connection for the servos which cannot exceed 7.5 volts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-05-08 18:01
    Connect the black servo wire to Vss, the red servo wire to Vdd and the white wire to any Stamp I/O pin.· If you have a BOE, there are two servo ports in the upper right hand corner of the board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Need a bezel for your LCD?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • phillysteak12345phillysteak12345 Posts: 3
    edited 2005-05-08 18:18
    i'm not trying to connect the servo directly to the board, i'm trying to connect the board to the servo controller ( product number 28023). I just didn't know which pins on the BASIC stamp to plug the PWM wire into to connect it.

Post Edited (phillysteak12345) : 5/8/2005 6:22:19 PM GMT
    200 x 199 - 21K
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-08 18:28
    Reread Chris's response - he told you how to connect the BS2 to the Parallax Servo Controller.
    edited 2005-05-08 21:45
    ·· The documentation clearly states exactly how to connect this device if you do not have the BOE Rev C.· For your convenience, a link to the documentation is posted below.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/motors/ServoController.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/8/2005 9:51:36 PM GMT
  • phillysteak12345phillysteak12345 Posts: 3
    edited 2005-05-08 23:18
    i've already looked at that diagram, The BASIC stamp i'm trying to hook up has a different arrangement. But thank you Chris for your suggestion it seems to have worked.
    edited 2005-05-08 23:43
    ·· For future reference, and for anyone else trying to connect a PSC to some other board than the BOE Rev C, or just directly to the stamp, the following is a quote from the docs I posted a link to above:
    PSC Documentation said...(trimmed)
    If you are not using the Rev C BOE, connect the wires of the three-conductor cable to VSS (black), +5VDC (red), and the I/O pin of your choice on your host system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2005-05-09 01:08
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    ·· For future reference, and for anyone else trying to connect a PSC to some other board than the BOE Rev C, or just directly to the stamp, the following is a quote from the docs I posted a link to above:
    PSC Documentation said...(trimmed)
    If you are not using the Rev C BOE, connect the wires of the three-conductor cable to VSS (black), +5VDC (red), and the I/O pin of your choice on your host system.
    As I noted in earlier postings (on Robotics forum), the PSC Documentation about how to connect to a BOE Rev C board SEEMS TO ALSO apply equally to the BOE/USB Rev B (current?)·board. If so, a PSC user can also plug the "3-conductor cable" that comes with the PSC into the X4 #15(for example, or into #12, #13, or #14?)·header pins of the Rev B USB BOE board. Right?

I've been noticing that users and Parallax consultants both are tending to forget (when describing problems and/or·answering)·that the BOE USB exists in a Rev B configuration (which may still be the current configuration of that board) and which is configured similar to the BOE serial board Rev C except for the serial/USB functionality and the fact that the one BOE·board says USB Rev B and the other (serial) says· Rev C). Right?

Peter R
    ·
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-05-09 02:19
    We also need to add that you must be careful if using a REV B serial BOE and not to use the X4 header with a power supply greater than 5v.· The REV B serial BOE X4 header uses Vin (voltage in) as it's power source and it will damage the PSC if using a power source greater than 5v.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·