Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
encoder programing — Parallax Forums

encoder programing

waltwalt Posts: 27
edited 2005-05-07 20:54 in Robotics
· Does anyone know an easier way to uderstand programing for BOE BOT encoder codes.
· I cannot seem to understand the online manual ( appling the BOE BOT digial encoder kit (#28107)). It seems as if it was written to enlarge the writers eago and not for the average young student.freaked.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-07 16:07
    There's a phrase that gets used by the Dallas Personal Robotics Group a lot: "It's harder than it looks." I can assure you that nobody who writes documentation for Parallax does it to "enlarge the ego" -- some topics are just not as simple as others. Take your time and reread the documentation and source code. And understand that this subject is probably not one that you'll pick up in a day.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • waltwalt Posts: 27
    edited 2005-05-07 16:39
    · JON you are right but being 13 yrs old and teaching yourself algber ( sorry about the spelling). It is disheartning· to see M being used for number of encoder pulses on one page and N for number of encoder pulses on another.
    They also use simbles that are not explaned. They change from brads to radians. What does the symbol that looks like a small triangle mean does it have· something to do with
    DELTA .I have been trying to understand the first 5 pages for 3 weeks.I will not give up but there must be someone out there who explaine it a little better.· I can see where I will be in real trouble when I get to trig part.Are your sure you need all this to use an encoder.
    ·
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2005-05-07 20:54
    Hello from Buck Rogers
    I agree. At your age, which seems like another lifetime, I was teaching myself digital logic.
    I needed to absorb the meaning behind the binary system of counting. Plus remember the functions of each of the different styles of logic devices. By the time I was offically done I also had to sample linear programming. That was five years later. (Oh and the spelling for that word is Algebra, its based on an individuals name.)

Eventually I also went through the same thing, self taught in computer programming for the SY6502, and the I8086, and in both BASIC dialects, Apple BASIC, and the one that MSDOS used.

But relax, once you have solved this issue, you'll find it can be fun.

Oh and Jon, good advice there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name