Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem — Parallax Forums

problem

gimmygimmy Posts: 4
edited 2005-05-08 21:42 in BASIC Stamp
hello is gimmy here,
i have a problem, i'm making my final project and i'm using a eb500 and eb600 connect to my laptop and an other eb500 without other device basic stamp.
i need to send from my laptop to eb500 a programme in assembler for example, could some one help me? i haven't idea.
thanks a lot

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-05-07 12:23
    Let me see if I understand what you're trying to do...

[noparse][[/noparse]PC]-[noparse][[/noparse]EB600&EB500] -- -- -- [noparse][[/noparse]EB500]-[noparse][[/noparse]BS2]

And you want to transfer a Program of some sort to the BS2?
    It's not possible to reprogram the BS2 over the EB500 link.
    You may be able to transfer a program to the additional PROGRAM Banks on a Bs2sx, BS2p, or newer, though.

What kind of tools are you using on the PC?
  • gimmygimmy Posts: 4
    edited 2005-05-07 13:48
    there is only one things wrong, the correct is:
    pc>(eb600-eb500)...bluetooth....eb500 and stop without other device with basic stamp.

i don't know how i can do it, but i need some ideas to send from my laptop somethings trough eb600-eb500 to other eb500.
    edited 2005-05-07 14:08
    Ah....

So you're jusing the eb500's as a general Serial extension?

Assuming that the eb500 at the other end is powered, all you need to do is to connect them together by issuing a couple of commands to the one connected to your PC.
    The whole process is listed on page 21 and onwards in the manual that came with the eb500
    Do step 1&2, skip 3 and make certain the second eb500 is connected to whatever it is you have on the other end, then step 4.

When this is finished, you can exit Hyperterminal(or whatever else terminal emulator you used) and the connection will still be up.
    How to transfer files or programs, though, depends entirely on what you have on the other end.

Also, note that the eb500 is using TTL level Serial, so either the thing on the other end must also use that, or you must use some sort of level-shifter(basically, that's what the eb600 is)
    This can be done with a MAX232 chip, and a couple of capacitors(how many depends on the version of the chip)
    edited 2005-05-08 19:34
    sorry but could you be more clear? i need to see some examples or somethings like that to understand very well. actually the second board eb500 is connected to pi16f73 through sn74.... buffer tristate.
    could help me telling me what i can do to transfer an programme from my laptop(whit eb600&eb500) to eb500&pic?
    thanks
    edited 2005-05-08 20:19
    I assume you have some sort of program that you use when you transfer a program using a normal serial cable, right?

The only difference now is that you must manually set up the eb500 link first.
    And to do that you need to run two commands using a terminal emulator.

The first command you need to use is LST.
    It should respond with an ACK, then a list of addresses to all BlueTooth devices it can find in the vicinity.
    >LST<CR>
    ACK
    00:11:22:33:44:55
    00:12:25:B3:A7:9C
    01:B7:22:AA:00:05

If you get more than one line, either switch off or disable all other BT enabled devices, or try to identify them so that you can eliminate them from the list. (On most devices there's an option/menu to read the address)

Found it?
    No?
    Take the eb500 that is supposed to go in the other end and connect that one to the eb600 and run this command:
    >GET ADDR<CR>
    ACK
    00:11:22:33:44:55

It should respond with its own address. Swap them back and you're ready to go on.
    OK, then the next step is to CONNECT to the other end.

>CON 00:11:22:33:44:55<CR>
    ACK

If you need Hardware handshake, I suggest you read up on the SET FLOW command.
    If you need any other speed than 9600 on the other end, you'll either have to make your PIC set it up using the SET BAUD command, or you could set it to default to another speed permanently by adding a '*' at the end of the command.
    (Note that the BAUD command only affects the transfer speed between the eb500 and the computer it is physically connected to. NOT the transmission speed between the two eb500's or at the other end of the link)

As soon as these commands have been run, you can exit the terminal emulator and the link is ready to use.

Use whatever program you would usually use to transfer the program just as if it is a normal serial cable.

BUT: if that program wants to do anything 'creative' with the serial port, it won't work.
    That is, if it uses HW handshakes like RTS/CTS, or pulls lines high/low to reset the PIC or something like that, you're out of luck.
    (All HW handshake is between eb500 and the physically connected computer and is not transmitted across.)
    edited 2005-05-08 21:19
    sorry but maybe i wasn't very clear, these are the command in hyper terminal, but i don't need those, i need to know how i can send through my laptop from eb600&eb500 to eb500&pic some programme.
    i need to know some examples, code or anythings that you things can help me, please.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-08 21:42
    ·· Perhaps this thread is in the wrong forum if this is for a PIC.· This forum is for BASIC Stamp related discussions.· Perhaps you will have to contact A7 Engineering directly on this...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com