Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to implement BS2 OEM application? — Parallax Forums

How to implement BS2 OEM application?

Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
edited 2005-05-08 05:06 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking at a possibly building· 6· devices built around a BS2. What little bit of reading I did leads me to believe that a minimal
implementation·consists of an EEprom for program storage, BS2 interpreter chip and a resonator. I am guessing I could program an EEprom stick it into the board with the interpreter and the resonator based with the assumption that it would·simply run the program from EEprom on power up. Will this work?··

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-07 02:25
    Yep. You'll need to get the program into the EEPROM, which requires a programming connection. You could program one EEPROM in a full-blown OEM BS2, then use a duplicator to make copies of the programmed EEPROM for you to put into other devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-05-07 18:28
    Is a duplicator a separate device?· Does Parallax sell them?

Chris I.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-07 20:23
    Yes. No.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-07 23:41
    Well if you're only talking about burning 6 EEPROM's - you could just buy the BS2 OEM board (available in kit form for $30) which has a socketed EEPROM. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to burn each EEPROM.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-08 00:33
    For short production runs (less than 25 or so) I'd use the BS2 OEM board.

For mass production, for $300 to $500 you can buy stand-alone gang eeprom programmer hardware, which will program 8 to 16 eeproms in a single pass. This sound like overkill for your 6-units, though.

And you can always use the BS2 OEM board for debugging, too.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-05-08 05:06
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I won't be selling huge quantities. Maybe a dozen or so tops. I just wanted to keep the program "secure"· and the cost down. If I can keep it at the BS2 level, I'll be able to build it cheaply enough that I can actually make a few bucks. Jon, I have a couple of the OEM boards that I was planning to use as a programing platform, since the quantities are small. Thanks again for the feedback. You Guys ROCK!