Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using BS2 home work board and maxstream 900Mhz Xcite Dev Kit — Parallax Forums

using BS2 home work board and maxstream 900Mhz Xcite Dev Kit

gluphusgluphus Posts: 6
edited 2005-05-23 13:49 in BASIC Stamp
I just got my Maxstream Xcite dev kit in and am chomping at the bit to integrate it with my BS2 home work
board (get the hang of it before I start burning OEM BS2s...).

Here is my issue:
I am referencing Scott Edwards book "Programming and Customizing the basic stamp computer" (ch 12 c2term) and the Xcite advanced programming manual in an effort. I want to execute the code I have burned into my BS2 (C2TERM; pickup and answer the 'modem' with a "Whats your name" Q&A session).

Long story short, it ain't working. If someone who has been down this road before (maxstream devkit/bs2 home work board) can give me some pointers, there is a pack of Lucky Strikes and a cool 64OZ of mad dawg awaiting them.

-Darrin

Comments

• SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-05-04 21:07
    Hi;

You made a good choice with maxstream. Can you post your code. The maxstream kit has several options you can use to "wake up" a bs2, however they do not emulate a modem. You are better off setting up a pin wake up or using the rs232 data to get your result. Are you using the null modem adapter?

Sofa
  • gluphusgluphus Posts: 6
    edited 2005-05-04 21:31
    hmm...

the code was simple, but based on what you say, I might have been approaching the solution incorrectly.

(again, this is my initial dev env. once I get over this hill, I plan to just run the maxstream directly to the BS2.)

CONFIGURATION:
    My configuration was as follows:
    MAXSTREAM: 9XCite 900Mhz. The rcvr* is currently connected to the null modem adapter. The null modem is connected to the parallax supplied serial cable. The serial cable is connected to my humble basic stable home work board.
    CODE:
    The code snippet I put in the BS2 is:
    '{$STAMP BS2}
    '{$PBASIC 2.5}

tLink CON 20000
    N9600 CON $4054
    TxD CON 14
    RxD CON 15
    RI VAR IN13
    name VAR Byte(10)

waitforring:
    IF RI = 0 THEN waitforring

pickupphone:
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]"ATA", CR]
    PAUSE tLink
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]"Please enter your name: ",CR,LF]
    SERIN RxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]STR name\10\CR]
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]"Thanks for calling ",STR name\10,CR,LF]
    PAUSE 1000
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,100,[noparse][[/noparse]"Hanging up now.",CR,LF]

Disconnect:
    PAUSE 2000
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]"+++"]
    PAUSE 2000
    SEROUT TxD,N9600,[noparse][[/noparse]"ATH0",CR]
    GOTO waitforring

If beggars could be choosers, I would just like to know what I need to do to get the MAXSTREAMs where I could control the BS2 via some AT terminal on the PC side of the house. I know it will be an easy solution, because both Maxstream and Parallax seem to lend themselves to such events.

-Darrin
    edited 2005-05-04 23:35
    Gluphus;
    ··· You are correct, the Maxstream will not operate with the code you have written. I assume you have you are communicating with the system through the other Dev board maxstream has supplied. Have you done the simple loopback test on the development boards? You should also have a loopback adapter. Do you have the latest software rev from maxstream? You can doublecheck the sight.

···· Look into either "PW" pin wakeup or the serial cable activity wakeup. With pin wakeup you can put the device attached to your BS2 to sleep and wake it up on command. This seriously drops your current draw if you are using batteries with you application. Serial cable activity will wake up the maxstream only when it sees activity on the cable. The current draw is not quite as minimized with this option because the receiver is setup for 32mS sleep cycles.·Write yourself a simple program that looks for a keyboard input and then responds back. Hook the·Bs2 back up to the maxstream and apply power. You should be able to see responses through the Debug window.

···· Another suggestion is setup your BS2 for temperature reading. Have it cycle every half hour to wake up the maxstream, take a temperature reading, turn off the maxstream and go back to sleep. Use "Stampdaq" to acquire the data. It works pretty cool.

Sofa
    edited 2005-05-06 02:32
    Gluphus;
    I received your personal request but was not able to reply at the time. "PW" is a function of maxstream. If you look on your Dev kit you will find a group of headers. One will be marked "PW" I believe. The specifics are in the Maxstream documention. I apologize that I do not have it in front of me at the time. Also the serial wake up is a function of maxstream. You can apply power to the maxstream and communicate through the RS-232 port. You can make you channel changes and port communications changes here in the software. Have you done the basic "Loopback" test with your computer and the maxstream kit? If this works then you are communicating properly through the RF devices. I am tempted to perhaps have you landline me on this later.

Sofa
    edited 2005-05-09 13:14
    I would love to contact you via landline on this. going from programming to this is quite a humbling and I could use a few minutes with a SME to get me going in the right direction.

In the meantime, I will keep RTFM, lol...
    edited 2005-05-09 13:49
    A resource at
    http://spacegrant.engr.colostate.edu/projects/ussery/Winch launch telemetry and data-logging.pdf

popped up and gave me material/code to review.

IMHO, it just seems too easy...just the BS2 saying "Serout 15, 240, $data_string "

Methinks doing the PW for power conservation would help (long term) on the battery life.
    edited 2005-05-23 13:49
    mad.gif

Okay. I give up. I am missing something here.

Someone who has setup a basic communications network between a pc/basic stamp/maxstream to a maxstream/basic stamp (1 or more) and is willing to share this knowledge in exchange for proper consideration*, contact me at

dhusmann@ouhsc.edu or dthusma@hotmail.com

Thanks

Darrin