Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB BOE invalid port — Parallax Forums

USB BOE invalid port

StuartttttStuarttttt Posts: 45
edited 2005-05-05 15:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I have trawled through other postings to no avail.·········· ·My serial BOE and USB scope work fine, but.............. I am having problems with my newly purchased USB BOE. The Stamp editor identifies it on the new com port but under the device type·it says "invalid port". I have tried 3 separate USB ports, all giving the same invalid port message. My WinXP does not give the option to uncheck the FIFO buffers as suggested in the trouble shooting guide. The drivers were loaded automatically by WinXP which are··· FTDI·· version·1.0.2154.0······ I have tried several times to change/update them but it is reported that a better version can not be found.··· Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Also the green power light does come on when power is applied contrary to the BOE USB manual. Just threw me of course for a bit till I looked at the schematic. Missprint perhaps?······

Stuart

Comments

• StuartttttStuarttttt Posts: 45
    edited 2005-05-04 13:24
    Carrying on from my post above....
    I have just installed the Stamp editor on my laptop and connected the USB BOE and everthing worked just fine. Looking in the device manager the driver files etc are identical to the ones showing on my PC (which is giving the invalid port message). So the question is, why is my PC giving this error?

Stuart
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-04 14:27
    Stuart,

·· There are no FIFO buffers for this device, but what you can try is under Port Settings, Advanced, BM options, turn the latency timer down to 1 (Usually it's at 16).· If this doesn't work, you can contact us at Parallax Technical Support and have your setup ready to test.· the number is 1-888-99-STAMP.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2005-05-04 14:29
    Hello,
    ··········· What port is the BOE USB being assigned? Also do you have and PDA or Hot sync on this system? This software will some time cause errors. Under advance setting for the port set the Latency Timer to 1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Stephen Swanson

Technical Support
    Parallax, Inc.
    sswanson@parallax.com

edited 2005-05-04 15:12
    Hi,

I have tried setting the Latency timer to 1 with no joy. I also played around with the Receive / Transmit and Minimum Read / Write timeout settings.
    I do not have PDA or Hot sync.
    The USB BOE has been assigned to port 12.

Stuart
    edited 2005-05-04 15:17
    As I live in the UK hopefully we can resolve this problem soon without me having to call your tech support, otherwise I would have thanks.

Stuart
  • edited 2005-05-04 15:28
    Hello,
    ··········· The Comport number is most likely the problem. The software has problems with ports over 10 some times. Try setting the port to the lowest port possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Stephen Swanson

Technical Support
    Parallax, Inc.
    sswanson@parallax.com

edited 2005-05-05 10:12
    Hi,
    Yes it looks like the problem was the high? com port number.
    I deleted com port 8 which was allocated to another device, and also the BOE on com port 12.
    I then plugged the BOE back in to the USB and it was allocated com port 8 which then worked perfectly. (With no adjustments needed to Latency or Timeout) Thanks for your help.
    Perhaps this should be mentioned in the USB BOE manual?

Regards
    Stuart
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-05 15:59
    Bear in mind that the current version of the Stamp Editor (Version 2.2) does work with higher COM Port numbers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com