Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help in a hurry — Parallax Forums

Help in a hurry

musictechmusictech Posts: 54
edited 2005-05-03 11:46 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to finish a school project up·for finals on Wednesday.· I am using a software program from evolution robotics that recognizes objects(runs in windows environment).· I am trying to interface it with the stamp, however it won't directly output to another program.· My two ideas are voice recognition since it speaks what it sees, but that doesn't seem to want to work.· The program can however run another program, so I am thinking creating a batch file in dos and running it.· I am fair in dos and I have no clue as how to get dos inputs to the stamp in real time anyway, so I am not sure if that will work.· Anyone have any clues?· It basically just needs to recognize an object and tell the stamp when it finds that object.· I only have 46 hours til presentation so ordering anything·or doing anything spectacular is out.· Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-05-03 04:07
    Sounds like you waited until the last minute and want us to do your homework. nono.gif
    You said...

The program can however run another program

The key here is if you have the ability to create an EXE file.
    I would suggest Qbasic4.5 or some other program that you can
    write that can "talk" to a STAMP.

Another approach might be to use a "keyboard stuffer" capable
    of running in a script mode. From here you could pass keystrokes
    into a terminal program that the STAMP might be able to read.
    A program that comes to mind that I have used before is called
    "PB" or Play Back.

Good luck

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-05-03 05:38
    Your close. I am trying frantically to come up with a display for a senior design class. We started our project in January and my thoughtful lab partner decided he would take 2 and a half months to get me a robotic body. So I basically got a raw frame 2 weeks ago, and I have spent the last 2 weeks assembling all the parts inside, as well as fix the issues I have ran into with code and circuitry and had to design without an assembled robot. Not to mention do redesigns around where he didn't take into account for certain spacing issues. So now I am about 40 hours from a presentation and I have 2 90 percent completed robots, with snippets of code to string together and a paper to write.
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2005-05-03 11:46
    If you can call a batch file from the main program it would be easy using serial communication:

Prepare two data files with the some data for RECOGNIZED or NOT RECOGNIZED, for example:
    For Recognized use a file called YES.DAT that would contain "Y"
    For not Recognized use a file called NOT.DAT that would contain "N"

To create both files that have no 'extra' contents use the following method:
    From the DOS prompt:

COPY CON YES.DAT
    Y(CTRL+Z)
    (ENTER)

Note that you dont have to write the expression (CTRL+Z). It means simply: press CTRL+Z. This will add an 'end of file' character.
    Then press ENTER. You will have a YES.DAT in your current directory that will hold a 'Y'.

If you need the Not Recognized case repeat these steps for creating a NOT.DAT file.

COPY CON NOT.DAT
    N(CTRL+Z)
    (ENTER)

then prepare a BAT file to be called from your program that would do the following:

For Recognized case:
    COPY YES.DAT COM1:

For Not Recognized case:
    COPY NOT.DAT COM1:

This will send the data 'Y' or 'N' to your BasicStamp serial port.

To configure the COM1 port you can use the command MODE as in the follwing example:
    mode COM1: BAUD=9600 PARITY=None DATA=8 STOP=1
    Use the command 'mode /?' to see other options.
    Insert the mode command ad the first line in your BAT file.