Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help electricians !!! — Parallax Forums

Help electricians !!!

dwdw Posts: 3
edited 2005-05-02 13:09 in BASIC Stamp
This may sound a little weird but just bear with me here·.........
I am doing a college project. I am using minute electromagnetic activity in plants (thats right as in organic plant)·or other organism·to trigger off midi in a computer via an atom chip attached to a circuit board. Basically it goes like this:
·plant > atom chip > midi > computer
Obviously I need a positive and negative attached to the plant or no potential difference· will be created (the positive is the input of the preamps)
My question is this·:

Do I earth the plant just to the negative inputs of the preamps , or do I connect all the negatives (including preamps,plant, batteries)·to the·0 volts ( vss ?)·on the circuit board ?
If anyone wnows what im talking about help would be very much apreciated !
Gus

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-01 22:17
    The voltage potential you will be measuring should be that of the plant, as against the ground.

I would put a copper rod into the soil, and use that as my ground. Moist, fertile soil has pretty good conductivity.
    Then, I would tie the grounds -- Vss, Pre-amp, plant, and batteries -- to a single point so they all share a common reference.

You can probably amplify the signal from the plant with an op-amp or two.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-05-01 22:18
    FYI the Basic Atom chip is not made by Parallax - it's made by Basic Micro. You'll probably get more help on the Basic Atom if you go here forums.basicmicro.net/
  • dwdw Posts: 3
    edited 2005-05-02 00:52
    Brilliant thanks. Just one more query - when you say tie the earths to a single point, would that for example be the rod in the ground ? What would be the result if all the earths were just earthed to the·vss ? I may not have acccess to the ground (soil)·unfortunately as twill be indoors.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-05-02 13:09
    Hmm. You have access to the plant, but you don't have access to the dirt the plant is planted in?

The rod I was speaking of (and it could just be a length of 8-guage solid copper wire) was to be put into the soil the plant was planted in.

And 'earthing' to Vss would be fine.