Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Best Sunlight Readable LCD — Parallax Forums

Best Sunlight Readable LCD

HulkHulk Posts: 68
edited 2005-04-26 23:58 in BASIC Stamp
Are there any recommendations for the best solution in both graphic and alphanumeric?· I'm not expecting perfection, but the part will be dash mounted in a convertible car and I need to be able to read it in direct sunlight on occasion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
8184265-56bd-00410041-.jpg

Basic stamp Newbie

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-26 15:22
    Hulk,

·· While I don't have a direct answer for you question, I do have some advice to offer based on experience.· In a car computer system I built with a complete Digital Dash years ago, I faced this same question.· Several tests were conducted and it was determined that most were not immune to washout.

···However, if you notice, even older analog gauges on cars are protected from direct sunlight for the most park by the bezel design of the dash.· The gauges are usually recessed, or have large shrouds over them.· Something to keep in mind.· Good luck!

·· By the way, someone did post a message on here some time ago with a link to a web page explaining the different type of LCD Displays, for example, Transreflective, and the differences.· I believe this would help, and you can probably find it by searching Google.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-04-26 15:22
    LCDs like light - the brighter the better.· Try a Digikey 2x20 - part number 67-1773 - excellent LCD.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    NEW! 4 MB EEPROM

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/page4.html
    ·
  • Tom-Matrix OrbitalTom-Matrix Orbital Posts: 38
    edited 2005-04-26 16:18
    Hi,

The best display for sunlight is a VFD with a gray circular polarized filter. The best color lcd for sunlight is the regular yellow green colour, but the vfd will be best. For a better selection of serial interface lcds and vfds, you can refer to the Matrix Orbital website at http://www.matrixorbital.com/ .

Best Regards,
  • HulkHulk Posts: 68
    edited 2005-04-26 16:22
    Chris, Sid,
    Thanks for your quick response!
    Once again, I'm reminded Google has all the answers. It looks like Transflective is the best for washout resistance. I looked through the Parallax offerings and haven't found direct reference to transflective type. I'll check Digikey. If anyone has personal experience with a transflective graphics-capable part I'd be interested in your comments.

Chris, I'm going to bury it as deep as I can, but it looks like the surface will only be about 1 inch recessed. I'm going to try to add an eyebrow, but that adds complexity that I'd like to avoid if possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Basic stamp Newbie
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2005-04-26 16:27
    Hello Hulk,

The best displays that I am aware of for sunlight applications are by Kent Displays, at http://www.kentdisplays.com/ . These displays are very unique in that once a screen is drawn, all connections to the display - including power - can be removed and the screen is maintained indefinately. A great power saving feature too. I have seen demos of these displays and had them in my hands - they are very high contrast and easy to read, and the more light shining directly on them, the better it gets.

Hope this is helpful,

Tim
  • HulkHulk Posts: 68
    edited 2005-04-26 23:58
    Tom, thanks for that information. I'm trying to find the filter that you suggest, but the website makes me re-enter a logon every time I change screens.

Tim, the Cholesteric LCD is new to me. Very promising potential in my application. Thanks for your help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Basic stamp Newbie