Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
up for grabs if you want it??? — Parallax Forums

up for grabs if you want it???

propwashpropwash Posts: 20
edited 2005-04-27 11:45 in BASIC Stamp
ihope this will get some hits?? what im trying to is have some one help with writing a program and im willing to pay for it to be done if it can be done?
please e-mail me and i will e-mail you on what i would like to be made up.
it would take a program that is all ready been made and add a l.c.d display program to it and have both programs work togther? if not than i just wasted a bout $ 200 on a basic stamp and a cool l.c.d display(4x20 blue back light with yellow letters the one from scott edwards).if it cant be done or no one thinks they can do it than i will sell the stuff. thanks steven. e-mail· propwash79@aol.com.
p.s. is ther in one in fla that can do this or in jacksonville fla?????

Post Edited (propwash) : 4/27/2005 3:04:33 AM GMT

Comments

• musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-04-26 04:01
    What is it that you want exactly? Code to interface a stamp and a LCD display?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-04-26 04:21
    Propwash,

What is it that you want exactly? Chances are the code has been written and it needs to be adapted to your specific needs. How you ask the question will determine the responses you receive from the forum, and I'm certain it's worth sharing your ideas with us to get some input on the project.

On this Forum you have regular contributions from our best customers, which is worth more than what you would get by paying somebody. And they're free, too!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-04-26 11:30
    it probably pretty easy to do why don't you post the code you have now and I'm sure we can help with the rest. Its usually not to hard to interface and lcd

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-26 13:48
    Of course it can be done. Parallax microcontrollers and SEETRON displays have been happily working together for tens of thousands of customers. I have have personally used SEETRON displays in hundreds of projects -- go back through my Nuts & Volts columns and you'll find lots of code.

Perhaps, Propwash, you should *can* your attitude and post a clear, articulate question. There are lots of us here that would happily help you -- AT NO CHARGE -- if you'll simply take a tone of civility in your posts and make your request specific.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • propwashpropwash Posts: 20
    edited 2005-04-27 03:01
    THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP GUYS!!!! IM VERY VERY SORRY FOR THE WAY I WORDED THE POST AND PLEASE DONT TAKE IT IN THE WRONG WAY BUT I HAVE CALLED AND WENT TO EVERY COMPUTER PLACE AND REPAIR SHOP HERE IN TOWN AND NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE CAN WRITE A BASIC STAMP PROGRAM AND THE LOOK AT ME LIKE IM STUPID AND THAT BASIC IS SO OLD??I EVEN WENT TO SOME OF THE LOCAL COLLEGES AND THEY WERE NO LUCK AT ALL, SO THIS IS KIND OF THE LAST PLACE??PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF I PUT THIS IN A BAD WAY TO ANYONE AND I DONT WANT TO START OFF ON A BAD FOOTING.

THIS IS A 2 PART PROJECT.THE FIRST PART IS ALL DONE AND IT WORKS VERY COOL AND I WILL POST THE WEB SITE SO ANYONE CAN SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT OR THE CAN DO THIS PROJECT TO.

THE 1ST PART IS THE CURRENT CODE, IT WORKS GOOD BUT I WANT TO CHANGE IT TO MAKE IT WORK A LITTLE BETTER FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO?

THE 2ND PART IS TO SEE IF SOME ONE HAS A SAMPLE PROGRAM OR CAN WRITE A PROGRAM FOR THE L.C.D DISPLAY(I HAVE A VERY GOOD FELLING THAT NO PROGRAM HAS BEEN MADE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS).

HERE IS THE CODE FOR THE 1ST PART.

'{$STAMP BS2}

'
    [noparse][[/noparse]Program Description]

'

'

This program displays lightning activity via 8 L.E.D.s connected

'to aBS2 via a SN74LS240N buffer.The lightning is detected by

'I/O port 0 pin 5 and is counted for 6 seconds.Ten 6 second periods

'are summed to calculate the number of lightning strikes per minute (S.P.M).

'The resulting S.P.M is compared to a series of threshold values in a LOOKDOWN

'statement to determine the the number of L.E.D.s to light.

'The peak value is also stored ans the highest reading is displayed

'on the L.E.D.s on every other loop.

'
    [noparse][[/noparse]I/O Definitions]
    ' device········ i/o····port········ pin········· function

'

' LED 1······· <-·· 8··· 13····· output - greenLED

' LED 2······· <-·· 9····14······output - greenLED

' LED 3······· <-·· 10·· 15·····output - yellowLED

' LED 4········<-·· 11·· 16···· output -yellowLED

' LED 5······· <-···12···17···· output- orangeLED

' LED 6······· <-···13···18···· ouput -orangeLED

' LED 7······· <-···14···19····· output -redLED

' LED 8······· <-·· 15·· 20····· output- blueLED

'· LSU······· ->····· 0····· 5·· input-lightning sensor input

'
    [noparse]/noparse] Constants[color=white]·[/color

· LSU······ CON···· 0···'lightning sensor input pin

'
    [noparse][[/noparse] variables]

counts· VAR·· Byte(10)·'measured counts arrays

sum VAR Word 'sum of 10 6second measurments

index VAR Byte 'index value for lookup/lookdown

oldpeak VAR Byte 'peak led value

newpeak VAR Byte 'maximum value

showPeak VAR Bit 'bit to indicate to show peak

i· VAR Byte·· 'loop counter

'
    [noparse][[/noparse] Initialization ]

'do an led lamp test to start

DIRS·= $FF00····· '·P0-P7: Inputs P8-P15[noparse]:o[/noparse]utputs

leds= %11111111···· 'all· leds on

FOR i = 0 TO 8·· 'step thru all 8 leds

OUTH = leds·· 'turn on slected leds

PAUSE 250·· 'WAIT A BIT

leds = leds/2····· 'turn off upper led

·NEXT

'
    [noparse][[/noparse]main code]

loop:············ 'main program loop

COUNT LSU, 6000,· counts(0)·' count lightning strikes

DEBUG DEC ? counts

sum =0······· 'clear sum

FOR i = 0 to 9···· ' add 10 6second periods

· sum = sum + counts(i)·· 'sum is total strikes for the last minute

· NEXT

· DEBUG DEC ? sum

'···················· index· =·· 0·· 1·· 2·· 4·· 5·· 6·· 7·· 8

LOOKDOWN sum,>=········400,200,100,50,25,10,,5,1,0] ,index

LOOKUP index,············· [noparse][[/noparse]$FF,$7F,$3F,$1F,$0F,$07,$03,$01,$00],LEDS

LOOKUP index,············· [noparse][[/noparse]$80,$40,$20,$10,$08,$04,$02,$00,$00],newPeak

' check if new peak if greater thean old peak

·IF new Peak <= lodPeak THEN doLeds

old Peak = newPeak

GOTO doLeds

shiftValues:····· 'loop thur array

FOR i = 8 to 0

·· counts (i+1) = counts (i)··· 'shift array valus to next position

· NEXT·

showPeak·= showPeak + 1··· 'alternate between 0 and 1

GOTO loop······ 'loop for more

'
    [noparse][[/noparse] subroutines ]

· doLeds:

·IF showPeak· THEN doLedsWithPeak

OUTH = leds

GOTO shiftValues

doLedsWithPeak

OUTH =leds···| olPeak

GOTO· shiftvalues

i hope you can make sence of this??if you see ther is something wrong with this program than i will have the web site at the bottom for·this code.

what i want to do with this code above is to change the l.e.d strike rate and i would like for only 1 l.e.d to be on at a time. her is what i have in mind.have the 1st l.e.d (the green L.e.d) come on for 0 -15 strikes per minute and stay on till the strike rate goes above 15. then have it go out and have the 2nd led the (bright green L.E.D) come one and stay one forthe count rate of 15 -35 strikes per minute and so on down along the line with all the L.e.ds.keep in mind i have changed the colors of the L.e.ds to make it be more eye catching.

the 2nd part to this it have the scott edwards L.C.D display work with the above program?its a 4x20 Serial L.C.D Module(BPP-420 v4.0 from scott edwards.what i would is for the l.c.d display to scroll across the screen"BASIC STAMP LIGHTNING ACTIVITY MONITOR"·as a screen saver if you can call it something like that?have the Basic stamp running with that message displayed on the screen till the lightning monitor detects lightning.

when it has reached a pre set strikes per minute· than have the l.c.d display clear and have it read "lightning·is at· severe level and is currently riseing". The pre set level would be set at 125 strikes per minute.

If the strike rate is riseing than have it say "lightning activity is severe and is riseing " and if the strike rate is falling than have it read "lightning activity is servere and is falling"

when the pre set strike rate has reached 125 strikes per minute than have a counter be display on the lower let side if the screen to keep a running tab on the current·strike rate. when the strike rate drops below the pre set level than clear the screen and have it go back to the·1st message but keep the count· of strikes per minute till the strike rate goes above the·pre set level than have it clear the count and start all over again.

I would like for the above program to be made into the current program· to combine them both to make a program that uses the l.e.ds and the l.c.d display all as 1 program?

i hope some one can help with this and feel·free if you have any question or think you know of a better way to do this than please let me know.thanks steven lokey· E-mail propwash79@aol.com

what i have is the basic stamp 2 and i dont know if i have to get the basic stamp 2p to make the l.c.d display work even though i have downloaded some sample programs from scott edwards and the work fine? i have also talked to the person that wrote this and built it and he does not know how to write the l.c.d display program.

here is the web site for the lightning activity monitor

··· http://homepage.mac.com/tbitson/weather/bslam/index.html

thanks again· for anyones help and i sorry if i have started off ona bad foot. so please let me take the time to say im sorry for the very rude post i posted at the top and sorry to parallax and to the forum member.

Thank you again and i will not let this· happen again.

··································
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2005-04-27 05:00
    Hello from Buck Rogers
    Can you please leave off the TTY capitals? Its considered rude, and is the equivalent to shouting. However I am glad that you got it down now.·jumpin.gif····················

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-04-27 11:45
    I think we saw the same exact project on the forums last summer?!
    Shouldnt be to hard there is tons of info on interfacing LCD's.
    give me some time I'll see what I can find. in the meantime check out the Parallax website.
    more specifically the Nuts and Volts articles and Stampworks

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/index.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ