Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cut off problem — Parallax Forums

cut off problem

Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
edited 2005-04-26 20:20 in Robotics
Hi, i've hooked up my boe-bot to rechargable batteries.· It's gone with out a hitch so far..... but today I found that the regulator didn't turn-off the stamp when power was too low.sad.gif·· I know the that it worked earlier when i had regular alkaline batteries in it.· So..... A little HELP?·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ben Damon

And may God Bless America!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-26 02:07
    Ben,

·· Rechargable batteries are not recommended for use in the BOE-Bot (This is in the manual) because they do not provide enough voltage for it.· Rechargable batteries run at 1.2 Volts instead of 1.5V like Alkaline Batteries.· So, with 4 of them you only have 4.8V instead of the 6V you are supposed to have.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2005-04-26 14:11
    We'll i'm getting 6V, I made my own pack of 5 (about 6.0 - 6.2) like I said it's worked wonderfully. I know they arn't recommended, just wondering if anyone had ideas to why it wouldn't shut off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

edited 2005-04-26 16:30
    Ben,

·· Your original message did not indicate you created a custom package (Important information for a reply).· But what do you mean shut off?· Typically when batteries run low the Stamp will brownout and RESET.· The only way it will stay shut down is if the Voltage levels stay down.· When the batteries rest for a second, the voltage comes back up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JurgenJurgen Posts: 8
    edited 2005-04-26 16:46
    Somebody said...
    So, with 4 of them you only have 4.8V instead of the 6V you are supposed to have.

I run my BOE-BOT with 4 NiMh cells all the time without any problem.

BUT I use the piezo buzzer to signal me when it resets so I know when I have a brownout. The buzzer comes in really handy to debug the soft when you use morse code signals roll.gif
    edited 2005-04-26 17:33
    ya, sorry.

That's the word i couldn't think of, blowout. Most likly is the votage doesn't come back up past 5v when it drops down.... the thing that threw me was the power led on the board of education didn't go out.

Yes i have the piezo buzzer signal me when a program starts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

edited 2005-04-26 19:03
    Ben,

· Most of the time the Power LED won't go out.· It's not affected by the Stamp's brownout detector, and there is usually enough voltage to run the Power LED, even when there's not enough to run the Stamp Module.

·· As for using 4 NiMH batteries on a BOE-Bot, I've actually done it before myself but for a very short time.· With only 4.8 volts available, and running the servos, you will soon hit the 4.3V brownout point.· Needless to say, I don't do it anymore.· But I do like the 5-pack idea.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-26 20:20
    Some time I'll give u the specs on what i did, [noparse]:)[/noparse] It's easier than it looks run off NiMH, espesialy higher end ones (2300am). I get and adverage voltage of 1.38v per cell (with 5 cells than adds up to 6.90v tongue.gif)

also, i didn't even consider NiCa because of haveing to drain them ea time, just to much hassel.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon