Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Max current and more ... — Parallax Forums

Max current and more ...

ElvisElvis Posts: 8
edited 2005-04-25 13:54 in BASIC Stamp
A couple more·questions if you don't mind.·

1.· What is the max current/voltage that I should be using with the small wires that come with the STAMP?

2.· How well does the STAMP respond to vibrations?· In my case it will have to take a two foot fall(it will protected of course).

Thanks again.· The people on this site have been a tremendous help.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-25 13:32
    I've found 30 gage wire (the really thin wire-wrap wire) fails at around 1.5 amps.

The BS2 comes with 22 gauge stranded wire for jumpers, I believe. It should easily handle 1.5 amps -- but I don't know how much more it would handle. Voltage is not an issue, it's the current that generates the heat that melts insulation, wires (and breadboards) -- though your own safety comes into question if you are plugging into 115 VAC wall mains.

The BS2 should respond really well to vibrations -- the big problem is keeping it from falling out of the socket. Hot glue might help, as might some tie-wrap looped around the BS2 and through the board.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-04-25 13:54
    As far as vibrations, you may want to consider a ZIF socket, I believe the retention force is greater than your standard DIP sockets.