Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beefy Source = More Current? — Parallax Forums

Beefy Source = More Current?

MechelecMechelec Posts: 7
edited 2005-04-25 13:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm wondering if using an 9VDC 500mA AC adaptor to my BOE Rev C·instead of a 9VDC 300mA AC adaptor will increase the total current available to output?· I'm·operating 10 servos from my board, and current becomes an issue when using more than 4 to 6 servos at once.· I was thinking about getting the servo controller, but I'm not sure if that gaurantees enough current for 10 to 16 servos at once, and at this point, if·I can fix things by switching power supplies, I'd like to try that, but I'm asking beforehand so I don't fry my stamp or something.

Thanks

Denis·

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-24 23:11
    If you are controlling over 5 servos you will need some sort of servo controller and a separate power supply.· Here is a link below for the Parallax Servo Controller which can control up to 16 servos for each unit or control up to 32 servos by daisy chaining two units together.· You'll want to use an RC battery pack, such as a 7.2v 1900mAH.· Check out "Tower Hobbies" for battery packs www.towerhobbies.com .

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28023

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 4/24/2005 11:14:46 PM GMT
  • MechelecMechelec Posts: 7
    edited 2005-04-24 23:26
    Can that servo controller support continous rotation along with standard?
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-24 23:43
    The Parallax Servo Controller can support the continous servos, but not for exact postioning.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-25 13:38
    A 9-volt 500 mA wall-wart will supply more current than a 9-volt 300 mA, but for 5 Servo's you need more like 1000 mA. Note the BOE regulator (which drops the voltage from 9-volts to 5 volts) will only do this for 1000 mA before it overheats, so you're getting close to the limits of what will work.

If all 5 are not turning all the time, you may be able to get away with it.

For 10 servo's, you need around 2 amps to run all of them continuously. Again, the duty cycle you control the servo's with, and what's connected to them, makes a big difference. (Perhaps a TO-3 package 3 to 5 amp regulator, with a bigger wall-wart, would allow this to work.)