Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR leds — Parallax Forums

IR leds

DestroyerXDestroyerX Posts: 34
edited 2005-04-25 14:55 in BASIC Stamp
I tried to use one of my IR leds that came with my BOE bot kit today and I couldn't get it to work. Are there any tests with a multimeter or something that I can perform on it? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Unreal tournament 2004 rox

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-24 20:50
    You can turn it on with a program, then look at it with a video camera or digital camera. You should be able to see the IR light with the viewfinder if it is working.

Note it is a diode, so only conducts current in one direction. You might try turning it around to see if it lights up then.

The next test you can do is shine its light (using FREQOUT 38500) at an IR-detector, and see (with a voltmeter) if the output of the IR-detector goes low.
    ·
  • DestroyerXDestroyerX Posts: 34
    edited 2005-04-24 22:39
    Hmm..I tried your suggestions but still can't get it to work. Could I have somehow burned it out?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-04-24 23:44
    Try the other IRLED in your kit. Make sure to follow the schematic in Chapter 7.
    edited 2005-04-25 00:29
    The other one works fine when I substitute it into the setup used with the non-working IR LED.

-Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-04-25 00:45
    Assuming your polarity with the other LED was correct, it sounds like it's defective. Contact our sales department; they can send you a new one. For contact information, go to www.parallax.com -> Company -> Contact Parallax.
    edited 2005-04-25 00:51
    How long do you think it would take them to send me one? If it would take a long time for them to decide on sending me one and ship it, I'd just buy another one.

If I contact them, should I use this address?: sales@parallax.com

Thanks,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-04-25 00:59
    Yes, that's the correct email. I don't have enough experience to tell you how long it'll take, but they can give you a pretty good estimate. Depending on where you live and the shipping method, getting a replacement from a local supplier may be quicker. IR LEDs are pretty inexpensive. You can still get a replacement from Parallax; it never hurts to have an extra or two on hand.
    edited 2005-04-25 01:02
    Okay, I guess I'll contact them. Should I just explain my problem. Should I tell them I talked to you (I assume you are affiliated with Parallax by your avatar) or does it not matter?

Thanks again,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-04-25 01:12
    Yes, I work for Parallax. All you have to do is tell them you suspect you have a defective IRLED and ask if they can send you a replacement. The best way to reference our discussion is to copy and past the http address of this thread into your email:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&p=1&m=71788#m71822

Before continuing, double check and make sure you had the IR LED we suspect is defective plugged in with the correct polarity. The "anode leads" shown on page 239 (Figure 7-5) are the longer leads. Make sure you connected the longer lead to the resistor and the shorter lead to Vss (along with the middle pin of the IR detector).
    edited 2005-04-25 01:17
    I double checked it and it still doesn't work. I'll contact Parallax; will they require me to ship out the part to them for them to test it?

Thanks,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-04-25 01:24
    In this case, we'll just send you the replacement IR LED.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-25 14:55
    Jason,

·· Please e-mail me your full name and mailing address for a replacement IR LED.· Also, let me know if you tested the other LED so we can confirm that you have at least one working unit.· My e-mail address is below.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com