Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 hang due to 220VAC relay — Parallax Forums

BS2 hang due to 220VAC relay

BronsonBronson Posts: 44
edited 2005-04-26 01:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
My name is Bronson. This is my first post.
I am desperately need help on my current project.
In my project, I connect OUT6 upto OUT10 to ULN2803. The output pins of ULN go to 12VDC relays, then the contacts of 12VDC relays goto 220VAC relays' input coil.
The problem is my BS2 occasionally HANGS, sometimes my BS2 resets by itself.
I found that everytime I connect 12VDC relay to 220VAC relay, the problem occured. If I used 220VAC lamp, it worked fine.
I have used 15volt or 30volt diode zener to ULN's common line.
Pls help me, and sorry for my English.

Thanks,
Bronson Alex

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-23 04:06
    Bronson,

·· Is the same power supply powering the Relays and the BS2?· Consider using SSRs to control the 220 relays.· You can eliminate the ULN and the 12V Relays.· You can probably eliminate the 220 Relays...What are they connected to?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BronsonBronson Posts: 44
    edited 2005-04-23 05:29
    I am not using SSR due to high cost. I am using mechanical relays.The last output I would like to turn on is 220VAC solenoids and contactors. I use 220VAC relays instead of contactors and solenoids just for testing purposes. Also, I use different power supply to power the relays and BS2.
    edited 2005-04-23 06:41
    Bronson,

·· It really sounds like you're getting some kind of noise and/or interference from the Relays/Solenoids.· We have seen this recently in a project similar to yours, and I believe the person actually ended up having to shield his Stamp Module.· Are you running long wires to the Relays and/or Solenoids?· Long runs of wire can act like an antenna and pick up and/or generate a lot of EM noise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-04-23 13:39
    Bronson,

You say you are using two seperate power supplies for the actuater coil of the relay and the Stamp. Are the grounds tied together? They should be. If so, Chris may well be correct that you need better shielding.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • BronsonBronson Posts: 44
    edited 2005-04-25 02:19
    I have get rid of long wires, BS2 still hung. Yes, the grounds are tied together.
    I will provide better shielding.
    But for your information, yesterday I put 1 nanoFarad caps at 12VDC relay's input coil, it works !! My BS2 doesn't hang til this morning.

Thanks alot, guys. This forum is great.
    edited 2005-04-25 14:58
    Bronson,

·· Yep, sounds like noise!· shocked.gif·· The caps are helping clean it up· a bit, but it will probably still be a problem.· I've never seen it fix that easily.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • propwashpropwash Posts: 20
    edited 2005-04-26 01:58
    hey try twisting the power wires from the 12 volt relay to the 220 volt relays. this will·cancel out any electric noise.if not try a choke from rat shack