Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how to display 8 digits using MAX7219 — Parallax Forums

how to display 8 digits using MAX7219

balabala Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-30 15:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am using stamp for first time... BS2 programming.

i want to display any random 8 digits number using MAX7219. I have the circuit and integration of eight 7-segment display with stamp and 7219 ready.

If anyone can send me the pbasic code for displaying any random 8 digits number, it would be very useful.

thanks

Bala

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-21 23:09
    Bala,

·· I will help you to determine how to do this.· Basically (no pun intended) you will need to create a word variable which will be your random number.· I would concetrate on using the RANDOM function to scramble the bits of that word variable, write 4 digits to the MAX7219, then use RANDOM again and write 4 digits to the remaining 4 digits on the MAX7219.· That should work pretty good.· See the help file for use of the RANDOM keyword.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • balabala Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-28 23:04
    Hi Chris,

Thankyou for getting back to me. Let me put the question in a simple words.

I want to display 8 digits using 8 7 segment display.

I have now wired stamp to max7219 and also these display.

Now, can you send me a simple program (BS2) for displaying 12345678 or any eight digit number. I understand you need to send signal by displaying two 4 - digit number. if you can send me a basic program to do all 8-digit, that will be great.

i have some bs2 program from parallax site, but, it is a counter and uses only 5 7-segment display.

please let me know.

Thanks for helping.

Bala
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-29 02:04
    bala,

·· The best thing for you to do is work out the program based on the counter program.· It's not going to do any good to have someone write you a program if you don't understand how that works.··Using the counter program should give you adequate information on getting numeric data to the MAX7219 to display.· You will only need to change the SCAN register and send more digits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ellizardellizard Posts: 106
    edited 2005-04-30 15:22
    HI
    I agree in toto with Chris, his help to my similar problem with 7219 was to focuse me on the core of the problem.

I also had a great edvantage reading several time and accurately the 7219 data sheet edited by Maxim.

greetings