Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A full plate — Parallax Forums

A full plate

musictechmusictech Posts: 54
edited 2005-04-21 19:16 in BASIC Stamp
I have been given a full plate worth of projects to do.· All of which has to be completed in 8 days.· If anyone would like to help with any portion (especially coding), it would be greatly appreciated.· I don't have time to order much but since I am at a college, they have a lot of items on hand.· The projects are listed below:

Soccer Game Project
This project consists of an 8'x5' metal table.· Two feet above the table we have constructed a pvc platform covered underneath with aluminum screen wire.· There will be 8 or 10·sumo bots used.· All controlled by laipic 315mhz tx/rx modules that are tied into playstation 2 controllers.· The sumo's will get their power from a dc power supply tied into the metal top table and the screenwire (see bumper·boe bot post).· When a score has been made, the ball will drop through a hole at either end of the table (depending on which goal has been scored) triggering a change on a scoreboard of some type (stamp, plc, or computer controlled) and go to a box on the side of the table, to be returned to the board by the attendant.· My biggest issues here is figuring out how many stamps I will need for the controlling the scoreboard and ps2 interfaces for 8 to 10 playstation controllers, figure out the circuit for them to attach to, and the code to make everything work.· The final touches to the table itself will be finished tomorrow morning.

Robosapien Project
This project is utilizing 2 stamps to run seven motors in a Wowwee Robosapien.· We are using the L293D motor controllers (4 of them).· This one is a bit more code intensive.· Basically, all they have to do is dance together or perhaps somehow interact with one another like follow one another.· Whatever they do, it will all be preprogrammed and no actually human interaction will take place.

Tank Project
Similar to the first one in just about every detail, with one exception.· Instead of RF, we will be using infared and the communication will be two way.· The screening ·from the first one will be equipped with infared diodes and emitters.· Instead of just sumo bots, we are also using standard boebots equipped with a track system·.···There are 2 tanks (boe-bots) and 4 smaller vehicles (sumos).· The players will use ps2 controller to feed to the IR system in the top of table, to send commands to the bots.· The bots will use that data and to control its own IR system to "fire" at other tanks.· The hits will be fed back to the emitters in the top of the table and back to a stamp to control a scoreboard (once again, plc, stamp, or PC driven).· The tanks will fire slower, and move slower than the other bots, but take many hits from the smaller bots before a point is registered.· The big issue here is getting the infared in the table top to work.· I have done it with one boe-bot, but not with six bots that have up to 9 different commands and feed back data.· That and coding will be my issue.

Wish me luck, and send me some coffee

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-21 01:36
    You are doomed. I don't know how to interface a BS2 to a Robosapian -- but it sounds like a fun project. It's the 8 day part that will stop you.
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-04-21 03:11
    Well we have the basics of the robosapien down. If I had time to order another part, I could make it easier. Unfortunately, I don't though. We can move the motors of the robosapien using the stamp and the l293 motor controller, already. We just have to change the states of pins from high to low. The part that will be difficult will be coordinating the feet with the arms, which are on 2 different stamps. Right now we are soldering the chips on the boards. Which is a joy in itself.
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-04-21 03:27
    Yer gonna need more than coffee.
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-04-21 18:34
    Too much too fast.
    Sounds like a good way to ruin a great hobby [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Blog: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-04-21 19:16
    If he has 3 more people it should be possible, but it takes undying dedication from all involved. A design group I was in (in grad school) ended up defining a much larger project than we initially intented. With a week to go, we realized we weren't going to make it at the current pace. So we made arrangements to have friends take course notes for us, and my gf @ the time ran errands for food and other supplies. We broke the day up into 3, 8 hour periods. One period you slept; the next period you were in the "hot box" doing soldering, testing, programming etc; and the third period you assisted the next person that was in the hot box. The scheme worked amazingly well because you only did the grueling work after you were well rested, and you assisted the next person by providing support and insight to what you were doing when you were in thier position. We ended up finishing 10 hours before the deadline and went out to a late dinner/early breakfast·to celebrate, when to class, presented the project, and blew the professor away with what we accomplished.