Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Example of circuit?? — Parallax Forums

Example of circuit??

WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
edited 2005-04-20 14:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!

Any of you guys have an example of a circuit that includes a BS2? Thinking of a Orcad drawing of the circuit. And how to connect the usb-mini port to be able to program the Stamp when it's still in the circuit. (Not having to use the programming board.

Would have been great guys!

Thanks

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-04-19 21:24
    For "in-circuit" programming, you might do better using the COM port rather than the USB. I don't know for sure, but all of the BS2's that I have played with
    are the COM port flavor. For this I have used a standard 4-conductor telephone wire (flat-grey) connected to the proper pins on a COM plug and a 4-position
    SIP connector for the board end. I can draw this out if you want.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
    edited 2005-04-20 08:34
    Is it alot more work to make the mini-USB work? I have the programming board with the USB connector and I don't have a Serial port on my laptop, so...
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-04-20 14:03
    I just stated that I didn't know for sure, because I have always used a COM port to talk to the stamp. You simply might find more support from
    others with a COM port connection than a USB connection because one has been around much longer than the other, but I could be totally wrong.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-20 14:08
    Hello,

·· The mini-USB on the BOE is merely a Virtual COM Port to the computer and Stamp Software.· The drivers provided by FTDI are designed for just that function.· So, in a sense it's not too hard to use the USB chip from a software standpoint, however, for single or small runs it might just be more cost effective to buy the USB to Serial Adapter.· Now if you're planning on production, well that's a different story.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com