Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bubble Sort In Basic - Sorting an indexed array — Parallax Forums

Bubble Sort In Basic - Sorting an indexed array

nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
edited 2005-04-20 20:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hail Board,

i'm developing a little project that requires sorting and i just wanted to share what i have developed and exchange ideas about the algorithm and code in general. the tricky thing about my bubble sort is the way i indexed data in the scratch pad.

questions, comments, advise?

here is the code:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
" Hey! Why is there silicone on my hemostats?"

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-19 15:04
    Nick,

·· Nice job!· And no sorting in the EEPROM!· LOL· I will have to check this out in more detail later, but I think it's the first sorting routine I have seen on the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2005-04-19 15:46
    Chris said...
    And no sorting in the EEPROM! LOL
    har har har - Good memory dude.

there arent many applications for a bubble sort in the world of stamping. i suppose that's why it never came up. In any case i always liked the bubble sort because its a simple, easy-to-follow teaching tool for sorting even if its inefficient.

rox on

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-19 18:05
    And it takes very little code space. Since any array you'll want to sort HAS to be small, the inefficiency doesn't really hurt you.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-04-20 16:46
    Nice job, Nick! That kind of routine is also useful in statistics, to find things like the median or quartiles in a list of numbers. In digital filtering, a median filter is a powerful tool to reject readings with "pop" noise.

One suggestion, is that in some cases the the BUBBLE subroutine might be called when the array is already sorted, or when only one score has been added since the previous sort. In that case it there is no point in passing through the loop more than once or twice. I'd add a one bit flag variable that is set to TRUE before executing the inner loop, and set equal to FALSE if any swap takes place while passing through the inner loop. After the inner loop a test, IF noswaps THEN EXIT. Another small thing, if NOP is a constant, then NOP-2 is also a constant and a little program space and speed can be saved by also defining NOP2 CON NOP-2.

' Nick's code, slightly modified, untested!
    'ax,cx are bytes for counting
    'tmp_a,tmp_b,value,value2 are bytes for storage
    'RANK and SCORE are constants that index locations in the scratch pad
    ' --- rank(0) holds index of highest score
    ' --- first pass through the inner loop brings the lowest score to rank(NOP-1)
    'NOP is a constant for the number of players
    'rank = 0
    'score = 16
    'NOP = 16
    'swaps is a one bit flag
    'the scratch pad 
    '  0-15  rank of player1 -> player16
    '  16-31 score of player 1 -> plater16
    NOP2  CON NOP-2
    BUBBLE:
      FOR ax = 0 TO NOP2                      'outer loop counts iterations of the inner loop
        noswaps=1   
        FOR cx = 0 TO NOP2 - ax             'inner loop counts through array and tests for swaps
          GET RANK + cx, tmp_a                 'gets the index of the cx'th ranked player
          GET RANK + cx + 1, tmp_b           'gets the index of the next ranked player
          GET SCORE + tmp_a, value          'gets the score the the cx'th ranked player
          GET SCORE + tmp_b, value2        'gets the score of the next player
          IF value < value2 THEN                'if the cx'th player's score is less than the next player's score
            PUT RANK + cx, tmp_b               'swap the index in the ranking 
            PUT RANK + cx + 1, tmp_a
        noswaps=0                           ' -- okay, there was at least one swap during inner loop
          ENDIF                                         'otherwise leave them alone
        NEXT
          IF noswaps THEN EXIT
     NEXT
      RETURN

I have a median routine at www.emesystems.com/BS2math5.htm, but I think your ranked bubble sort would be a better way to go about that. I came at it in a different way, iteratively extracting the minimum and maximum from a list.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2005-04-20 20:25
    sure - the outer loop should be

do while (noswaps)
    nexted swaping routine
    loop

this would minimize the number of iterations of the swapping routine

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔