Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to get started with Parallax kits — Parallax Forums

How to get started with Parallax kits

tech12tech12 Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-26 21:37 in BASIC Stamp
I am a Mech Engineer and I work in the Control/Automation indusrty. I need to learn more about Control Circuits, Microcontrollers, Control signals...etc.·
·
I took some courses, including digital electronics and digital controls. I never had a chance to apply what I learnt in theory however.
·
So I am now looking for educational material combined with kits. I need to learn how to translate design into practical projects. But I am not looking for something that shows me just how to wire a circuit. I am interested in the why and not just the how. Ideally I want to see a book that shows the concept then the circuit and finally how to wire (I am not sure if such a thing exists).
·
I have bought some kits (not parallax), but they turned out to be not very educational.
I am thinking about buying Parallax kits, but I am not exactly sure where to start. There is a kit on "Industrial Controls", another called BOE and a third that talks about signal analysis.
·
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I would appreciate any advice on where exactly to start? I need to start ASAP, and once I start I am planning to go full speed.
·
Thank you
·

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-17 16:47
    I'm not too sure what exactly would be best for you, so I suggest you get em all! There is a large library of projects, documentation and explanations in the download section. I suggest you read as much of them as possible.

Start off with the Basic Stamp Manual:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/BasicStampMan.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/17/2005 5:24:28 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-17 16:47
    Hello,

·· The kits, such as Industrial Control have freely downloadable manuals in PDF format from our web site.· These are in links at the bottom of the product pages.· There is also applied sensors, and a few others that might be interesting to you.· They all work in conjunction with our hardware, however you can get good ideas by simply reading the books themselves.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-17 17:19
    Where to start:

1. Begin with the "Analog and Digital Interfacing" course. As advanced as you are, the A&D course might be best to start with. It shows you how to interface an A to D converter and an op-amp.

You can download the PDF file from Parallax and check it out to decide if you really want to order the package from Parallax.
  • tech12tech12 Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-18 01:53
    I wouldn't be able to get them all at once! Although I might end up buying most of them through out the year.
    I need to start with one or two, to get a first feeling of the Parallax products.
    ·
    I realize that electronics is a very wide field, and I don't want to get myself overwhelmed. So I am trying to be realistic, buy focusing (at least for now) on a specific area. That is digital·design as it’s applied to controls/automation.
    ·
    Right now I am thinking to buy the "Industrial Control" kit and/or the BOE. I will follow your advice and download the pdf files.
    ·
    Thanks for your time

·
  • clayljclaylj Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-26 21:37
    The Industrial Control kit is an add-on kit to the BOE, so get the BOE first and go through all of the included experiments. Then You will be ready and eager for the Industrial Control kit.

Larry