Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Requesting Robotics Resources — Parallax Forums

Requesting Robotics Resources

YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
edited 2005-04-15 21:34 in Robotics
Hey all, I'm pretty new to the robotics game, but I am really enjoying myself so far. I am nearing completion of my Boe-Bot and am interested in other resources for learning about robotics. Does anyone have any suggestions how how to better familiarize and educate myself? I don't have all the money in the world to blow on this unfortunatly. Also, is the 123 experiments for an evil genius worth while (the book that is)?. Thanks for your input!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-14 18:25
    What type of Robot are you interested in?· What type of features are you looking for?· The Evil Genius books are a great source for learning how to design a robot.· The book comes with schematics and sample code for building your robot along with·detailed information.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-04-14 18:42
    FYI the Experiements for the Evil Genius book ships with an unpopulated BS2 carrier board. To assemble the board, you'll need to buy the components, BS2-IC and a DB9 straight thru cable seperately.
  • YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-04-15 06:31
    I'm not sure exactly, I just want good exposure. I'm a student so my buget is somewhat limited, but still availible. I have picked up a book about building junk bots and insect bots from old electronic parts and it seems like a good book for learning the mechanics of electrical components, but not the brains of them.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-04-15 11:23
    The Evil Genius book has a LOT of experiments and does a good job explaining the circuits, but not a very good job explaining Parallax Basic. The first 75 experiments/circuits in the book don't use the Basic Stamp at all - they use other IC's, resistors, capacitors, LED's, etc. Most of the remaining 47 experiments use the Basic Stamp. Note you'll need to buy all the parts for the experiments plus the parts to build the BS carrier board plus the BS2-IC plus the DB9 cable. The parts will cost you $80-$100 depending on where you buy them. The book will cost you $16.47-$24.95. I bought mine on www.amazon.com for $16.47

Parallax's 'What's a Micontroller' (which Radio Shack sells for $79.95) includes an excellent textbook, the BS2 Homework board, the DB9 cable and all the parts for all the experiments. If you want to learn Parallax Basic - this is the best kit to buy and the text takes you thru some variations of each experiment - very useful. I recommend buying this kit thru Radio Shack because the version Parallax sells on their web site does NOT include the BS2 Homework board or DB9 cable and sells for $65 - not a great deal.

I bought 'What's a Micontroller' first, did some of the experiments and then moved on to the Evil Genius book - which is what I advise.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-04-15 21:34
    I thought that Scott Edwards "Programming and Customizing the Basic Stamp Computer" was an excellent learning tool.· It covers basic electronics and Stamp Programming.· I also liked David Cook's "Robot Building for Beginners".· I think that the "bible" for beginners (outside of Parallax's Stamps-In-Class Robots! curriculum) is Gordon McComb's "The Robot Builder's Bonanza, Second Edition".